Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Few Meandering Thoughts

Quote of the Day: Sorry guys. This is getting nowheres. I don't speak extravagantly broken computer. Strong Bad from www.homestarrunner.com

I am still reaping what I sowed over the weekend. I spent 12 hours standing on cement at my folks place. It took a total of about 14 hours to brew 25 gallons of beer with my dad. We weren't really on the ball with stuff. Each time we finished mashing, we had forgotten to prepare the next step, so that added about 3 extra hours to the time, and add at least 2 more hours for forgetting to prepare some of the little things in advance. Jen and I got there late on Friday night, and Dad had had a long, hard day at work, so neither of us felt able to put for the effort. We paid for it. It's Tuesday, and I'm still very tired and quite sore. Not a bad haul though. We made a 15 gallon batch of hefeweizen (pronounced hefeveizen because it is a German word). We were trying to make something similar to Pyramid's hefeweizen because it has a delicious and almost delicate mild flavor. That means it is very drinkable. We also made a 10 gallon batch of an English Bitter. I couldn't talk my dad down from putting in too much chocolate malt, and, for the record, he regretted that later. I knew a scant handful would be more than sufficient, but he put in two very heavy handfuls, and it turned out to be chocolate brown. English bitters should only be a blond color. Next time, no chocolate malt. It didn't affect the flavor, though. It was nice and buttery smooth before we pitched the hops, so, when they mellow, it too will be a very good beer. Yum.

A few brilliant thoughts for consideration. These come from the "lala land" of "what if?"

- If Liv Ullman married Judge Lance Ito, then divorced him and married game show host Billy Beaver, she’d be Liv Ito Beaver.

- If Shirley Jones married Tom Ewell, then Johnny Rotten, then Nathan Hale, she’d be Shirley Ewell Rotten Hale.

- If Ivana Trump married, in succession, actor Orson Bean, King Oscar of Norway, Louis B. Mayer (of MGM fame), and Norbert Wiener (mathematician), she would then be Ivana Bean Oscar Mayer Wiener.

- If Snoop Doggy Dogg married Winnie the Pooh, he’d be Snoop Doggy Dogg Pooh (I know it's a stretch, but doesn't it sound so funny?).

Speaking of beer, did you know that Malaysians wash their babies in beer to protect them from disease? The boiled water and ingredient of alcohol makes beer a very safe and sanitary medium for doing things like this.

Before I go, I have one last thing. I need some real prayer right now. I have an opportunity to leave the position I am in at the company I work for and make almost double doing something else. My department would be very bitter toward me for leaving, but I can no longer trust them. I have skills they have given me and paid for training for, but they have allowed them to languish and not utilized them at all. It is a tough decision. I think I want to try this other position. Please pray. Blessings to you who do.

Jared

1 comment:

Looney Mom said...

I would love to try some of that beer! Homemade... yummy.

Those names are funny. I like the Oscar mayer weiner one.

I think you should take the other position. It really does sound like a better opportunity. Praying...