Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A Christmas Survey

Jennifer did this a few days ago over at her "Rad Random Blog," so I thought I'd steal it and do it here. It's fun.

1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? He sets 1 present under the tree, unwrapped (Theived from Niki and Benny Nowell).

3. Colored or white lights on your tree or house? Totally colored, but they are white this year (for the wife).

4. Do you hang mistletoe? I'm married. I need no excuse.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Sometime around Thanksgiving, usually just a little after.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Ham, ham, and more ham. Oh, by the way, did I say ham?

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? Going up to Roger and Sue Frank's for New Years parties. They are wonderful people and we always enjoyed ourselves.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I never got to believe in Santa. I'm bummed about that.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? As kids we did, but not anymore.

10. What kind of cookies does Santa get set out for him? I'm thinkin' he'll probably get my wife's famous chocolate chip or white chocolate macadamia nut cookies.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love snow. Period. I wish Jen would get on board with my desire to move to Alaska.

12. Can you ice skate? I get shin-splints, so I quit.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? The year I got the Super Nintendo, I couldn't have been happier. It ranks up there among my best holiday memories.

14. What's the most important thing about Christmas for you? Celebrating the Advent of the Lord! Add to that, not superimposing some sort of celebration of Easter on Christmas. We can focus on why He died then, it is just as important to remember why He came.

15. What is your favorite Christmas dessert? Cookies, cookies, cookies!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Going with Jen to look at Christmas lights.

17. What tops your tree? Nothing this year, but usually a star (again, multi-colored).

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? I love the purity of giving in the spirit of God's gift to us.

19. What is your favorite Christmas carol? O Holy Night

20. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum? Yum!

21. When do you take down your tree? The Feast of Epiphany, January 6, which is the traditional and official end to the Christmas season.

I tag Niki, Liz, and Kathy on this.

6 comments:

Kathy Brown said...

1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? Egg nog, of course - hot chocolate is for the rest of the year!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? I would never question Santa as to what he delegates to elves or reindeer or anything else…. .

3. Colored or white lights on your tree or house? No house, no tree. However, in the future (hopefully), colored will be my choice.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Is THAT what you are supposed to do with it – no wonder I’m still single.

5. When do you put your decorations up? End of November.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Turkey w/stuffing.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? Visiting grandparents.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I can’t even remember.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Never.

10. What kind of cookies does Santa get set out for him? This year, biscotti.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love snow…..I just hate driving in it.

12. Can you ice skate? I can put on skates, but that is about it.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? It is so sad, I can’t remember at all.

14. What's the most important thing about Christmas for you? The single most important thing is Christ’s coming – the first time and the next and last time. I love church on Christmas Eve and on Christmas, too.

15. What is your favorite Christmas dessert? Pumpkin & Mincemeat pies.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Watching the original “Grinch” and “A Charlie Brown’s Christmas.

17. What tops your tree? Nothing this year!

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Both.

19. What is your favorite Christmas carol? Silent Night

20. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum? Yum!

21. When do you take down your tree? Sometime after I put it up!

The Flip Flop Mamma! said...

I have enjoyed this meme a lot!! I love reading people's answers! I prefer white lights, but I give in and do colored for the hubs!

Looney Mom said...

Yay! I got tagged! I love this meme. I guess you wouldn't really be happy here since Alaska is your idea of "home" but we got ONE big storm and the kids are out in it right now! And I have TONS of cookies. Too bad you're so far away! I'll get on this one soon. Thanks.

Dapoppins said...

I always wanted to move to Alaska. Tried to get my Texas born husband to consider it. Didn't work.

What is it with the lights...why do women want white...and a theme tree, and men want colored, and an everything tree?

And, could you send me the link to your post where you cover all the feasts of Christmas (The Feast of Epiphany and so forth), January 6, which is the traditional and official end to the Christmas season.
? I want my husband to read it. He loves that tradition stuff. Always trying to establish some.

Dapoppins said...

P. S. A dear freind of mine sent us a ham for Christmas. In the mail. Really. A Hickory Farms ham. Can you imagine. In the mail!

Niki said...

Is this your way of keeping me on my toes? You need to email me and let me know I need to catch up so I know I've been tagged! ;) Here goes:

1. hot chocolate

2. Read Jared's answers ;)

3. I like white lights because we always had colored lights growing up - we have colored lights on our tree because I caved to Benny's wishes. ;) No lights on our house - who can afford that bill??
4. No mistletoe - don't need it - and who thought up that name anyway??
5. Decorations go up on Thanksgiving afternoon after the big meal.

6. Favorite holiday dish? Pie - Apple or Pumpkin or Key Lime, not really a holiday pie but it's my favorite.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? Putting up the tree on Thanksgiving.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Same as Jared.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes. Gifts from each other are opened on Christmas Eve, then Santa comes while we're sleeping and leaves one unwrapped gift under the tree for each of the children to enjoy on Christmas morning.

10. What kind of cookies does Santa get set out for him? Dependsx on my mood...either my homemade chocolate chip oatmeal cookies or Oreos.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Dread it. I grew up in WI and have had enough snow to last me a lifetime.

12. Can you ice skate? Yes, and I used to be pretty good!

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? My first Christmas with my husband.

14. What's the most important thing about Christmas for you? The gifts. Just kidding. The amazing way Jesus became one of us!

15. What is your favorite Christmas dessert? I already answered that.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Going to the movies and eating out Chinese food on Christmas Day. Seriously.

17. What tops your tree? A Gold Star

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Both.

19. What is your favorite Christmas carol? O Come, O Come Emannuel

20. Candy Canes: Yum!

21. When do you take down your tree? December 26th. My son's birthday is the 29th and I want him to have his own celebration apart from the biggest holiday of the year. No Christmas presents doubling as birthday presents - that plain sucks when people do that!