Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Foul Mistress of the Holidays

I’m sorry that I have been so remiss of posting. I’ve just been struggling with more feelings of isolation and depression. It is especially hard because it is the holiday season. I love this season more than any other part of the year, but I love it because I love sharing it. I got no one to share it with. Yes, I have Jen, but she can’t play the be all and end all of all relational needs. It is not how small of a role she plays, but how great a role others play in my life. It is a huge, gaping hole that needs others to fill it with their love and care. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate all of my blogger friends, but a sentence or two in a comment on my blog isn’t the same as visiting face-to-face.

I’m not quite sure what to do. I keep on keepin’ on. Depression is a cruel mistress. I’m glad I’m a gutless fool. It keeps me from contemplating suicide. I know that I have too much to do for God before I pass on. At least, that’s how I see it.

Since nobody likes a whiner, I’ll close with some stuff I’ve written over the course of the week:

Santa Is Just Satan Spelled Differently

By no means am I of the belief that the above statement is true, but in so many Christian circles/churches, it seems to be the sentiment. Many claim that he is a symbol of our hyper-capitalistic society used to make people buy more stuff for Christmas (yet, they go out and do just that, buy gifts far to over the top in price for family/kids). Many claim that he steals the limelight from the Christ-child. I disagree with that sentiment, too. For those who don't believe in Jesus, He was never the focus in the first place. And Santa is a friend of the orphan, the poor, and the broken-hearted...you know, the same people that Jesus has a soft spot for. So what is up with all the Santa hate?

I think the catharsis comes when thinking about what to tell our children. It is a well founded concern. I was never allowed to believe in Santa when I was a child. I'm honestly not sure what I will do with my kids. But one thing I have learned over the holiday season is that Santa is as real as you believe him to be. Call me a fool or heretic or liar, but I believe in Santa more now than I ever have. He bears on his sleigh the essence of Christmas. Out of charity, a precious gift is given to those living in darkness and trial, just like the precious gift of our Savior on that night that was so deep. Maybe that is the magic that I see. Just go watch Polar Express a few times and tell me you don't see or hear things that cause you to reflect on the genuineness and meaningfulness of your faith in Christ. Maybe I will tell my kids that Santa is as real as their belief in him (which isn't necessarily false).

Then again, I'm going to completely avoid putting Santa in competition with Jesus, also. My family will be exchanging gifts on Dec. 6, which is St. Nicholas (Santa Claus) day. If it is good enough for Germany and most of Europe (excluding France), it is good enough for me. We will see Santa Dec. 6, and we will watch and wait for Jesus on Dec. 25, looking forward to His second Advent.

In unrelated news, here's a stupid thing I found on the Internet. Unfortunately, yes, they are serious:

Pigs and Playstations
Think that you can outplay a pig on your Playstation? You may be surprised. According to research, pigs are much smarter than dogs, and they even do better at video games than some primates. In fact, pigs are extremely clever animals who form complex social networks and have excellent memories. Eating a pig is like eating your dog! As actor Cameron Diaz put it after hearing that pigs have the mental capacities of a 3-year-old human: "[Eating bacon is] like eating my niece!"

I don't know about you, but I play video games with my pig all of the time. They are so smart! Even though he just keeps stepping on the d-pad until the guy on the screen goes off the cliff, I know he's trying, and very smart...So, the next time you sit down to play video games with your pig, you just think about that and feel sick about the bacon you ate for breakfast! Pig hater! ROTFLMBO We should all take advice from Cameron Diaz because she's famous. Forget the fact she barely has a high-school education. Being famous is like equal to having a doctorate in everything...er something. Right?.. Especially when it comes to the environment and foreign affairs. They know everything about those.

2 comments:

Looney Mom said...

Oh depression stinks for sure. Sorry you're in the pits. I hope you get out of it soon. I pray that you and Jen have a wonderful holiday season.

And I'm so confused about the whole Santa thing. James Dobson had some input on the subject although Dobson might be just as iffy as Santa Claus to some Christians (I like him).

Anyway, Logan asked me last night if Santa's real and all I could say was "uuuhhhhhmmmmm...". Thank goodness his brother chimed in with his thoughts.

I loved the idea of Santa Claus as a child. It didn't keep me from loving Jesus. I'm having a deja vu moment... did I already comment on this subject? Maybe it was on someone else's blog. Whatever.

Niki said...

We just had the Santa talk with Max - he initiated it and is cool wth knowing Benny and I are Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one. He asked me if Santa Claus was real and I asked him what he thought. He said...well I'm stopping here. You have just inspired my next blog post. Go read the rest of the story there. ;)