Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

George II

I always think of good ol' George II of England when I hear Hallelujah, a chorus from Handel's Messiah. Tradition has it that he was so moved by it, that he stood, and it is still customary to do so when it is performed.

People talk about hearing Hallelujah ring out when something miraculous or fantastic happens. I put one of my more high maintenance supported employees to her final task for the day, after which I was done working with her for the day, and I actually heard Hallelujah ring out. Yes, it played inside my brain, but it heard it as if the sweet music flowed in through my ears. I really like this supported employee, and they have a lot of potential, but it has been a real energy drain for me the last few days. So, it was nice to send her off.

Allow me to clarify for those who didn't understand. I dichotomize between living "in" the moment and living "for" the moment. Living for the moment means doing whatever now and not thinking of the consequences it might have, such as playing hooky from school without the blessing of your parents or consuming too much alcohol because it feels good at the moment. Living in the moment is something we can learn about from dogs. When you are scratching a dog's belly, they don't worry about it ending. They just zone out into their little "pleasure trance." They are so content to enjoy you scratching them without worrying about the scratching ending. The don't say to themselves "I wish this would never end." They just act as if it never will, and then give you that look that guilt trips you into continuing for a few more minutes when you try to quit the first time. If your dog gets cancer, it doesn't say to itself, "Dog, I sure wish I would have taken that trip to Russia," or, rather, "I wish I could eat table scraps one last time." All it knows is the joy of now. Sniffing butts, playing fetch in the river, doing a trick to get a treat, going on a walk to take in the journey through all senses. It never worries about getting home. It gets to that when it gets there, deals with it, and moves on.

One needn't be unproductive or a procrastinator to live in the moment. That is living "for" the moment. I have been working on living in the moment while I'm on day-shift. I don't know when it will end, much like yesterday's snow, but I'm content to live now and not let thoughts about it ending spoil the enjoyment I can have. I think it is a good characteristic to develop, so I'm working on it.

And here's a link for my procrastinator friends: http://www.amazingcoincidents.com/index.html

6 comments:

The Flip Flop Mamma! said...

I already forgot what you said the diff is between the 2, but I'm glad you've been feeling so much better about work!! My husband has talked about dogs in sermons before...about how they eat their vomit,, yeah, I don't remember how he tied that in, but he did. LOL.

Chelf said...

Good to see that you are enjoying what life has to offer for the moment. Keep smiling and kicking, and I bet God keeps scratching!

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

I'll click on that link....later.

In other news...I think sometimes, not often, but sometimes it's good to just do something out of pure enjoyment. Like, say you like Starbucks...which for the most part expensive and the drinks have like, a gazillion calories. But one day you are just not having a great day and you know that the money can be better spent...and that tomorrow you'll have to do fifteen extra minutes on the treadmill to recover from that Vanilla latte...but you stop anyway and enjoy your drink...and the piling up laundry, or studying you have to do just doesn't seem quite as daunting as it did before your 15 minute break.

Trish said...

Great advice. I think it is something we all need to work on.

Looney Mom said...

LOL! I laughed at the "sniff butts" thing... Geesh! I feel like I'm 10 again. That stuff just cracks me up.

Anyway... seriously. I'm glad you're enjoying the day shift and living in the moment... or was that living for the moment. Dangit! Short-attention span. Anyway, I loved your post.

Peace, brother!

Niki said...

"Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God."
-Jim Elliot

That's on our desktop of our home computer. Just thought I'd share it. I've been thinking about you and Jen. How are you two?