Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

"New" Friday Like Monday

Today is starting off like a Monday. I forgot to refill our water filtration pitcher last night, so that put me about 10 minutes behind this morning. Also, nature was calling, and not waiting, on line 2. So I get my espresso made, fill my Stanley thermos with my tea, gather everything else up, and run out the door. I knew something was wrong right after I locked it. I smelled espresso...I heard a faint glugging noise...I FORGOT TO CLOSE THE TOP TO MY COFFEE TRAVEL MUG! It was spilling into the Safeway bag I had it and my water bottle in (yes, I stay well hydrated) and getting all over my new shoes...and pants...and hands. I unlock the door, drop the plastic bag full of espresso, grab my two recepticles, shake 'em off quickly and run to the kitchen sink. While there, I notice that I completely forgot my bagel on the counter. I think, "Well, at least it kept me from forgetting that." I wash my stuff off, grab my bagel and other stuff, and head back out. I got to the dumpster and toss in the bag full of espresso and head to the car. I set the bagel on the roof as I pack my stuff into and start my vehicle. I get 'er going and take off. I casually sipped what is left of my espresso on the way to work. I mourn for the loss...*sigh* I get to work and head in, being about 5 minutes late (a miracle I wasn't later!). I start to settle into my office and think, "I need to take my meds." And then it hit me...my stomach growled. I thought, "Man, I'm glad I keep a couple of instant oatmeal packets in my lunch box in case of a situation like th...MY BAGEL!" Yes, I left it sitting on one of our "salad" plates on the roof of my car as I buzzed off to work. I longingly look out the window at the now parked vehicle, hoping beyond hope that it might have stayed on, but, alas, the inevitable was true. Sucky start to my day. I was even going to take out the trash this morning!

As much as the chain of events that unfolded over the first hour and a half of my day has been, it won't touch my day. I'll be laughing about it after I get something to fill my stomach. Truth is, when you work with disabled people, you learn a lot about life. One of the supported employees I'm working with has shown me much about myself. If she perceives something even slight off in her day that she decides she doesn't like, then the rest of the day is a "bad day" and it effects how she deals with people, and how well she does her job. It looks really ridiculous, and I can't help but think how much better she'd allow her life to be if she would just mellow out in that situation. Truth be told, don't we do that too? Sure we do. When you get in an argument with your husband/wife, your kids are acting like brats, and your boss yells at you at work, I was the kid behind the counter at McDonald's you yelled at for the grill messing up your double quarter pounder with cheese, by omitting the bacon you so desperately wanted. I'm not innocent of this sin. I have gotten a little too upset at people when I didn't think I was getting great customer service, when it was really just me being too demanding of a customer. I always try to make sure I get back to apologize though. So, will this string of "unfortunate events" ruin my morning? Nah. Life is too precious to allow that to happen. I'm living in the moment.

I'll leave you with this for today. Click on it and it will appear larger. I couldn't get blogger to make it bigger within the post, but it will be big enough to read if you click it. I love Get Fuzzy when Darby Conley avoids politics:

Now, about that oatmeal...

5 comments:

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

That was a funny little cartoon. Hehe!

I feel bad that I laughed about the bagel though, because I know that one of these days it's going to happen to me...I deal with a lot of people like the woman you mention. In my job, we have a lot of autistic kids...and many have a certain way of doing things, or certain schedules and when they can't follow them it really can get them upset or even violent.

Chelf said...

I am glad that you see that the world is NOT "out to get you" today. Some people make that assumption, incorrectly. They take the tests that are given them as punishments. Did you at least get to rescue the plate at home? I hope so.

Continued Blessings, Bro.

Delia said...

I can't tell you how many times I've left something sitting on the top of the car and drove off. I've even done it with food before.

In situations like that you just have to take a breather and then laugh about it because really, what else can you do? Like you said...life is too precious to allow stuff like that to ruin your day.

Looney Mom said...

I'm glad you didn't let all that defeat you. I remember leaving a stack of papers and books on my roof and seeing the piles flying everywhere from the rear view mirror. Grrr...

Dapoppins said...

My day is usually ruied the night before by lack of sleep...or a nightmare where my husband does something wrong. I try to talk through the arguement that we had in the nightmare, but he dosent remmber it and won't talk about it. which really mifts me.