Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Friday, March 09, 2007

Greek Geek

When I crack open God's Word, I struggle to start. I always have. Lately, it has even been a little more so than usual. I struggle to swallow it all with its meaning. I know that there is so much to mine that you can see a different applicable angle every time you come back to it, but that isn't where I get lost. It is the flat words used to express such complex concepts that sucks out my ability to appreciate it for what it is. English, my friends, is such a dull, unexpressive and limiting language. It is so concerned with time that we have to use punctuation to express the intent, mood, or general nature of our writing (to ask a question, to scream with excitement, to point out the main focus of our writing).

My heart is lit afire to explore the meaning of the text when I get back to the Greek of the New Testament. It is so expressive and meaningful in its words. It is an aspectual language that is not so concerned with the "when" of things that it tells so much more about the "why" of things. Verbs are used in contexts and places that we English speakers consider so out of place, but these were the very punctuations of their writing. They drew you in to focus on what was important by using meaningful words in unexpected places. I truly feel like I connect with Paul when I read the very words that he wrote, and see where he put his emphasis. That is something NO interpreter can tell you.

Just the musings of an enraptured mind.

Blessings

4 comments:

Niki said...

Enraptured mind indeed. ;) Since all I know is the English language (and a very little bit of Spanish) I use puntuation lavishly and incorrectly to get my point across. I figure that somebody made up the language rules at one time, why can't I make up my own as well? I don't know if I could claim an enraptured mind all of the time, but occasionally I could. Now if I were getting paid to use language and punctuation correctly - as I would like to someday - I would probably try a little harder. Sounds lazy doesn't it. Oh well. ;)

tresspasser william said...

first, thank you for stopping by my blog at townhall.com. i am sorry that you were unable to post a comment, my wife also had a difficult time posting a comment. please feel free to stop by any time and read my posts (you may find THE SUNDAY POST interesting). if you should find you are able to post a comment then please make sure that when you register that you specifically request no e-mails from townhall.com (otherwise you will be e-mailed daily by them). second, now for my comment; i must confess that i have wanted to learn greek for the specific purpose of studying the Bible. i have also wanted to learn hebrew, aramaic and continue my latin studies...i guess i believe very much in a classical education (i hope to do this for my children). while i cannot attest to the richness of the greek language, i can attest to the richness of the english language; simply read shakespeare, spenser, donne or frost and you will see what i mean. i would also like to ask if you have learned hebrew and aramaic as there is also the Old Testament. and my understanding is that when Jesus spoke His parables they were in aramaic or hebrew.

Dapoppins said...

Maybe I should crack open that greek lexicon, huh?

Chelf said...

I have friends who learned basic Greek in our Bible college. Big John was writing out the alphabet, and Becca (now his wife) reached across the table, and corrected him... upside down! I knew then that she had captured his attention! Ha, ha.

Knowing Greek may only confuse the issue, but make sure that you study the Greek, and not the Latin Vulgate. And good luck with ever finding anyone who really knows Aramaic.