Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Where have you been, little mister?!

I know I disappeared for a while, and things have been really crazy. We got back from our weekend with Jen's folks, which went really well (thanks so much for the prayers), and Jen gets really ill as soon as we get home. She has a sinus infection, and she will probably miss work today (she was out yesterday, too). A hard year, thus far, health wise for my girl (I jokingly call her my "sick Chick", tee hee). She's burned up all of her sick days already.

I joined my company's lard-butt program. I have gained ten to fifteen pounds since I started here a year ago, and it is starting to put serious strain on my already weak back. I already feel much better making the changes that I have. I need to drop about twenty to thirty pounds for the sake of my children. I want to be able to wrestle and "rough house" with them when they finally show up. I have back issues. Do the math. I'm making smarter choices, though, and it feels good.

Now for the best news (drum roll please): ..............................................I PASSED THE SPEECH TEST I THOUGHT I FAILED! (blaring loudly in the background, Kool and the Gang sing:) CEEEEEEEEEEEEEELEBRATE GOOD TIMES, COME ON! {IT'S A CELEBRATIONNNNN!} This means that when I'm done with my art class, I only have my independent study project to finish, and then I get my bachelor degree!!!!!!!!!!! Stinky books, stinky books, stinky books :D

Okay, now that that is out of my system... I literally had to go into a vacated restroom to celebrate. Yes, I was jumping up and down, pumping my fist, and screaming at the top of my whisper. My bachelor degree has been a full four years in the making. Jen and I have sacrificed and struggled, and now I am on the doorstep of graduation. I won't be able to make it happen this May, but I'll have my degree sewn up by this summer. That is worth celebrating. We did so by drinking the last two Cheerwines and having some pepperoni pizza. It felt pretty good.

One last thing before I start doing what they pay me for here: go see Rocky Balboa. I have a story about this, but that is for my next post, or two. Go see it. If you haven't seen any of the other Rocky movies, at least rent Rocky 1 and 2, but you should try to watch 1-4 to really appreciate it. The ending it a TOTAL SHOCKER. I'll leave you with my favorite quote from that movie:
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!

Keep moving forward,
Jared

6 comments:

Delia said...

Yay you!!! CONGRATULATIONS on passing your speech test!

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

Congrats on the test. That's great...thankfully I never had to do any speech classes.

Don't forget to do the "Thinking Blogger" Award.

Rhea said...

I wish all companies had a lard-butt program.

Niki said...

You crack me up Jared! CONGRATULATIONS my friend!!!
Benny LOVED Rocky Balboa! I haven't seen it yet, but that quote makes me want to.

Glad things went well with Jen's family. I'm sorry she's sick again. That stinks. Tell her I hope she heals quickly and I'll send her a cyber-cup of soup.

Praying for you both! Have a rockin' weekend.

majeau13 said...

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT STILL LISTENED TO KOOL & THE GANG!!

Chelf said...

I saw a Made In America episode about Cheerwine, John Ratzenberger is the coolest guy. Those sounded really good.

I am glad that you got a life lesson from a movie. I don't think I could take another Rocky movie any more than I could take another Scream. Yuck. But I am happy that you enjoy them!

Tell Jen that we are praying for her speedy recovery. It is no fun being sick, and knowing that the job will not help anymore is not fun either. Strength coming your way from me, via God!