Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Monday, April 16, 2007

An Ode To The Humble Oat (Played On Steel Blades)


This is the world in which I live. Welcome to the jungle, baby. You're gonna die. Yet...I strive on. Please forgive the formatting of this post. Once again, Blogger foiled my beautiful breaks.
---
I believe it was the classic poet Homer (the Simpson) who once said, "TV. Is there anything it can't do?" Not that I suppose to usurp his wisdom, but I propose that we might, for this blog post replace "TV" with "Steel Cut Oats." Is there anything they can't do?
---
I know many, including my own dad say, "I eat old fashioned oats for breakfast every morning. That's just as good!" No, my dear friends, it is not. The difference? Steel cut oats are merely the whole harvested oat cut into about three pieces by a steel blade. That's it. Other than having that done so that it will actually absorb water, nothing else is done to it. Old fashioned oats, however, "flaked." This means they are steamed, rolled, re-steamed and then toasted. I'm not against toasting oats. It opens up doorways that allow the nutrition to get to your body that otherwise wouldn't, and it makes them taste so delicious and nutty. But, once you steam it and roll it and then re-steam it, chemical compounds inside the oat begin to break down and dissipate. Now, if that is happening in the water they are being prepared for eating in, that's a great thing. However, when it gets steamed away, it takes away a lot of the natural goodness and nutritional value from the oat. I laugh at the people on the Quaker commercials who say, "It dropped my cholesterol 7 points!" Little do they know how much more steel cut oats could be doing for them. And if you think oatmeal looks gross or has a disgusting texture, you should try steel cut oats. The texture is something else, and it is out of this world goodness.
---
At the end of this post is some research I dug up online about steel cut oats. If you care about heart disease or getting type 2 diabetes, then you should read it. You might need a change of pants when beholding THE MAJESTY OF THE WONDERFOOD!!...sorry...I get a little carried away.
---
I get mine at the local discount grocer in the bulk bin area for $0.48/lb. I toast them, and then prepare a ton and freeze them in individual serving containers. How sweet is it to get up in the morning and literally have your microwave do everything for you? You just add the buttermilk, milk, and brown sugar.
---
Having done a lot of reflecting on my health habits and how easy they've been to change over just three weeks has amazed me. I encourage all of my readers to take inventory of their busy lives and figure out a better and healthier way to get business done. You can find it if you try, and I suggest that you will be happier that you did. Steel cut oats don't taste as good as Doritos, but the feeling you have after you eat them is comparable to none other. Your body will thank you.
---
The FDA endorsed Oats in the fight against Heart Disease and certain cancers. In August 1999, the FDA in the U.S. issued a further endorsement of oats. It authorized a new claim that will allow companies to promote the benefits of whole grains in relation to heart disease and certain cancers. It indicated that diets that are rich in whole grains, such as oats, may reduce the risk of these conditions.
---
Oatmeal is the only food that naturally contains GLA (gamma linolenic acid) an essential fatty acid critical to the body's production of the favorable eicosanoids (PGE1 - prostaglandins). Eating steel-cut oats (very slow cooking) four times a week will provide you with a good supply of GLA.
---
Wholegrain Oats and Type 2 Diabetes - In the U.S. almost 16 million people suffer from Type 2 diabetes with as many as 625,000 new cases being diagnosed each year. A new 10-year study published in the American Journal of Public health indicated that eating oatmeal (a wholegrain cereal) on a regular basis can help to reduce the risk of Type 2 (adult onset) diabetes. The study showed that eating 1 serving of oatmeal (equivalent to 1 cup cooked) 2-4 times weekly resulted in a 16% reduction in risk of suffering from Type 2 diabetes. By increasing consumption of oatmeal to 5-6 times weekly, there was a corresponding 39% reduction in the risk of onset of Type 2 diabetes.
---
To answer any of my critics, NO this is not a Pay Per Post by the American steel cut oats board (does one even exist?) or anything like that. I just believe in eating things as close to what they are in creation. Cook 'em however, just don't process the heck out of 'em until no nutritional value is left.
---
Check out this info on McCann's for even more information on nutrition content and preparation tips. When you're alive and still kickin' at 85, and feelin' really good, you'll thank me.
---
Blessings and be well

3 comments:

R said...

Sounds nice.

I wish I could eat things that were more healthy and truly I do the best I can. The more processed something is, the better my body can handle it. I know that sounds strange. The only raw thing that I can eat lately with only a rash as a result are strawberries, apples and grapes. Everything else I am allergic to. That means, no salads, no cantaloupe, no bananas, no rare steak, nothing raw. I can't so much as graze my forearm across a tomato plant without getting a welt. I literally get swollen all inside my mouth, my tongue and everything inside begins to itch (including the insides of my ears) and in extreme cases my throat starts to close off. It is called Oral Allergy Syndrome and I am one of the few freaks of nature that have it. In other words, I am screwed.

I will see about steel cut oats. I have to probably cook the living daylights out of it before putting it in my mouth though!! :)

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

LOL, they mentioned this on Gilmore Girls a few weeks ago, I didn't really think much of it then, but now it makes me laugh.

I like oatmeal, but it's not too nice on my stomach so I only dare eat it if I know I can hide out in the house for a few hours after. I wonder if my stomach would react better to this kind of oatmeal.

Dapoppins said...

steel cut oats...humm. Buttermilk and brown sugar...hummm. And when you don't wash your bowl do they turn to cement?