Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Sixty Years Ago

One of the greatest moments in American sports history occurred sixty years ago, April 15. Jackie Robinson, the man who had the courage to not fight back, broke the color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers. Whereas much is made of not "booing" players these days, and "all the pressure" such things bring, Jackie performed exceptionally in that very climate. He dealt with insults and death threats, verbal and written, on a daily basis. Amid all of that, he became a hall-of-fame second baseman.

I know that a great burden that doesn't belong to us is heaped upon the shoulders of those of us who are of any European descent, these days. But I think we need to look past the bitterness engendered by the current, self-appointed black leadership, and look back and remember such people for the legacy they built for themselves, rather than for the propagandistic, revisionist history some espouse. Imagine being Jackie Robinson. It must've took a lot of guts to just get out of bed in the morning. He lived his life with courage and conviction. Those are qualities that every American should hold high. Further, he was loyal. When the Dodgers sold him in 1959, he retired rather than wear a different jersey.

After I lose a little more weight, I think I might have to get myself a number 42 Kansas City Monarchs jersey. If that doesn't make any sense to you, Google it. Then it will.

PS Apparently yesterday's post made ladies swoon across the world. Though I am taken, I am happy to discuss arranged marriages of offspring to mine.

4 comments:

Beanie said...

I googled that, I always learn something from your blog!!

Dapoppins said...

I am so into arranged marriages.

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

Although I am not into sports, or baseball in general, I have to say that Jackie Robinson is one of my favorite athletes.

Niki said...

You'd better start producing heirs quickly if we're going to work something out in the arranged marriages of our children! ;)