Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Monday, April 30, 2007

The Weekend Trip

Well, it was a lot of fun, and about as restful vacation as I've ever had. I couldn't be happier that we went. The marriage seminar had some things that were beneficial to me, and it was just plain fun and gorgeous to be over at the coast.

We drove down to Newport on Saturday night so that we could have a couple of pints at Rogue Brewery World HQ. The smell from the fermentation runoff was very strong and so wonderful as we walked through the warehouse/production facility to the upstairs pub.

I think their hazelnut brown nectar is the most complete beer on the face of the earth. It is very smooth and well balanced. But all of their beers are, for the most part. They are "hop heads" so I find many of their offerings a little too hoppy. Yet, they balance them out by providing plenty of malt back up. Their IPA is the only IPA I have ever drank and enjoyed. I don't think anyone makes more "craft-like" beers than they do. I only wish I lived closer to them.

We also took a couple of walks on the beach and really enjoyed it. The weather was actually pretty decent. Below are pictures from the brewery and one of our walks. The pictures of us together on our walk was taken by me holding the camera out at arm's length. There is a "smooching" picture in there (it is tasteful), so "be ye fairly warned, says I!"


The gateway to the warehouse (which is the gateway to the pub)


Me with my pint of hazelnut brown nectar


They now have a distillery that does four different types of rum



Twenty Rogue beers on tap



Our friendly barkeep Bruce


Jen really liked this one of me

My favorite picture of Jen from the weekend (note the wave crashing in the background)



Aren't we so cute you could just barf?

Silly smile into the sunlight

I drew this on the beach at Jen's request (the heart was my touch, however)



I warned you

My favorite me and her picture


Yup, Jen on a log

11 comments:

clumsy ox said...

Sounds like an incredible weekend!

The pics are great, by the way.

And I can't express my envy that you actually drank ale at Rogue!

Dapoppins said...

I can't see, my eyes hurt from that smooch thing. Put the warning on top of the picture next time so that I can be better prepared. Did you learn all that lovey dovey stuff at the seminar? I am so NEVER going to one of those if that means I must actually kiss my husband. ICK.

The pictures of the nice lady on the beach were enjoyable. The verdict is still out on the scary looking thug. Is that a long knife he is hiding behind his back?

trespassers william said...

hey if you plan on having childen then all i can say is, " enjoy the trips while you can." there was a time when my wife and i did things like beach trips...but that was sans four children.

Delia said...

I'm glad ya'll got to get away and have fun.

I was going to comment on how cute a couple ya'll are but then I read Dapoppins comment and laughed so much I forgot exactly what I was going to say.

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

I'm glad that the weekend was good for you, it looks like a really nice and gorgeous area.

R said...

You guys are too cute. Dear Sir would never kiss me in a picture. He wouldn't kiss anything in a picture. Except when we got married. He was a bit nervous about it because the photographer kept making us kiss over and over again for some other pictures and he got to the point where he was saying stuff like, "is this good?" through his teeth while his lips were on mine.

Beautiful beach! Glad you enjoyed the beer!

Ba Doozie said...

you can still do this after kids, don't be disuaded. romance will always be alive if you fan the flames, just not on the blog...er...just kidding!!

Niki said...

I too lmbo at DaPoppins comment! Hilarious! I love this picture kick you're on! You know Jared, I think you may be the world's biggest beer nerd. You know more about beer than anyone I know! Don't be offended...I like beer nerds. ;)

Glad the weekend was a great success!

Looney Mom said...

How cool that you got to go to a marriage conference. I would have LOVED to have gone to that if I were closer - oh and not going to the Beth Moore Conference.

Great pics! I wanna go to the beach! I'm glad to see more pics of you - and some of Jen finally! You're a very cute couple.

The Flip Flop Mamma! said...

Yep, you two are just too cute, I want to barf. lol. my hub and I have never been to a marriage seminar, I would really like to go to one someday though. Glad you had a great time!

Anne said...

These were so much fun - thanks!