Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Pink Eye Martinis and Nintendo Opera

I bought stuff to make martinis last night on my way home from work. Good martinis...not sucky, cheap ones. I got really good vermouth (dry) and Bombay Sapphire gin. I mixed it "just so" in the proper way to mix a martini (never shaken, always stirred). I dropped the olive in the chilled martini glass and poured in the mixture. "I plugged my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a drink..." I don't know if I've ever had a more ghastly concoction before in my entire life. I made it "black eye" style, but I can't believe that would make any difference. I dumped it out. Yuck. I'll get some club soda and limes today so that we can make up some proper lime rickeys. Those are good. The weird thing is, I like vermouth straight up over ice. It's actually pretty refreshing. However, I don't do gin straight up, ever. It's not because I don't like it, but because no hard alcohol should ever be consumed straight up. There's really no point.

I have this weird sore on my eye. At first, I thought it was pink eye, but it's been there for a week, and though I have some pain, I haven't developed the other classic symptoms. I'm grateful for that. First, post-evangelical leprosy, now pink eye! How bad would that be?! So, I'm hoping to get in and see a doctor today about that.

I downloaded Punch-Out: Featuring Mr. Dream for my Wii. It was originally released as an arcade game in 1984. It trans-mutated to Mike Tyson's Punch-Out in 1987, with some changes to adapt to the hardware. Then, after the obvious happened, plus a licensing dispute, they took out Mike Tyson, put Mr. Dream back, and it became Punch-Out: Featuring Mr. Dream for the NES in 1990. Something interesting I noticed when I played it again (for the first time in over 15 years) is that they have small sound bites from operas as intro music for some of the fighters. Carmen and Flight of the Valkyries are both represented. Traditional folk songs are also borrowed from. I believe Russian and Romanian are both in there.

An interesting side note, one of the changes they made from the arcade to the NES is the name of the Russian boxer. On the NES, his name is Soda Popinski. In the arcade, he was called Vodka Drunkinski. We were still engaged in the Cold War at the time, so, considering Japan's proximity to Russia, and Nintendo's "family entertainment" focus, I can see why they did it.

Well, time to go have lunch with the little woman and get the ol' eye ball checked out.

7 comments:

Emma Sometimes said...

I hope it's not pink eye. Ouch. Sounds like a sty and those hurt.

Oh, and I did my special post on commenters.

Blog Your Way To A New Blog Roll.

I have a God blog that shares my ups and downs of my spiritual walk. The demographic for readers that like to hear about how good God is, is a small one indeed. Anyway, it's not as bad a leprosy, I promise. hehe.

Dapoppins said...

I had this red apple-tini thing once. It was tasty. And then I got heart burn. I have this old book with these interesting mixxed drink recipees...there are at least five or six for rum punch and toddies...winter drinks. Always wanted to try them, but alcohol is so expensive for just a taste.

Emma said you have a sty...a pig sty? Don't you ever wash? So that is why you have a boil.

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

I had an appletini when I went to the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC. My mother forced me...haha, and she paid. Funny thing is, she doesn't drink...like ever.

Ninja Clement said...

Dude, Anglo-Catholic Ninjas drink Bombay Sapphire! Straight up and with cigars. Right before we start fights.

Ba Doozie said...

what emma meant was it sounds like a chalazion and if so you need to have it looked at before it becomes a bigger problem

R said...

I hate eye problems.

That stinks about the drink. I love gin, but I have never had it straight up.

trespassers william said...

hey don't you get medical benefita from work. go have it checked out before anything worse happens. we'll be praying for you.

also, just a short note-a.o.l. has a short article about the new immigration "reform" bill. you know, the amnesty bill for illegal aliens, the one that would allow a fast track to citizenship for illegal aliens-includung those like the terrorists in new jersey that were here illegally (some were but not all). anyways, i did not read much of the article because it was pretty much garbage as were the pictures of the"illegal alien" protestors (hmmm, how long do you think they'll keep themselves draped in american flags once they manage to steal their citizenship? NOT) anyways, a.o.l. also has a poll about whether people approve of giving "z visas" (amnesty) to illegal aliens at present the poll was running at 70% NO. i would encourage everyone to stop by and vote "NO" so we can increase that percentage as much as possible. also, stop by hughhewitt.com so you can get information on how to call or e-mail republicans to let them know you don't want that bill passed.