Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

una notte a napoli

Well, the sabbatical worked. I now have a clear vision for the next year and a clearer vision of the next several years. Soooo, it was nice. Really nice. I spent the day sipping fine beer and relaxing on the porch of a very large estate house overlooking beautiful scenery. I brought along my Bible and my journal. It was the most peaceful day I've had in a long time. So peaceful, I took Jen back on Saturday and we enjoyed a peaceful day out there. This time it was a little vino, some Pink Martini playing in the background, and said beautiful scenery. The world softens a little around the edges and seems like a much more beautiful place when you stop to smell the roses. Things don't seem as bad as we are constantly reminded (by the media) they are.

For those concerned, I no longer have the eye infection. I quit putting that junk in it and it healed almost immediately after. Shan's comment made me rethink the "doctor's orders." Sometimes, modern medicine is no match for common sense.

We went and saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie yesterday. I won't spoil the plot for you, but you should go see it. It's a pretty good ending to the trilogy. I have some feelings about how they ended it, but that is based more on my personality and personal experience than it is on the artistic genius of the writers. It is long, so eat a big meal before going, but every moment of the movie is necessary. There are no slow parts. One word of caution: do not take small children to see this movie. There is one part that is incredibly disgusting and nightmarish, and the beginning is pretty morbid. It would be less threatening and scary to see it on the small screen, so make it a night out for yourself and your spouse (if applicable).

Just a hint for those who go see it: stay all the way through the end of the credits. If you don't, you'll miss something very, very important.

It's weird. Going to see that movie made me reflect on the utter futility of life. It made me ponder the cosmic insignificance of my existence. Ultimately, it forced me to ask myself what is worth living for and what is worth dying for. I certainly pray the the next seven years of my life bear more fruit than the last seven. I certainly feel like my life has been composed of much futility, moreso than fruit, to this point, and that makes me sorrowful. I hope that will turn around.

QueenJaymz and I spent the afternoon with the Poppins family yesterday, gracing them with our royal presence at their generous invitation. I can attest to the fact the the children are cherub faced, and full of spunk/life. However, I think she lives a little closer to MilkMaid than Milady, USA. It's just a short hop from Free Country. After supper, QueenJaymz enjoyed "proper" tea with the women of the family, and the men and I retired to the upper room to play a rousing round of parlor games. We discussed British literature and all the obscure 17th century classical composers. Well, everything except the part about the 17th century composers is true. A good time was had by all. I'm always shocked when I meet blogging friends in real life. You spend so much time developing a notion of what they are like based on what you read on their blogs, and the color scheme, pictures and layout, and then they are completely different. I should start expecting it, but it is a huge psychological hurdle to surmount. I think such things are truly deeply ingrained in human nature.

Well, time to go pretend I know what I'm doing.

8 comments:

Anne said...

So, I'm first today. It's nice to hear you let your body heal itself - as I believe God had intended. Not trying to say I don't believe in medical attention, I just don't believe we need SO MUCH attention. God made the body quite capable as long as we give it what it needs.

I'm looking forward to Pirates - HubbaHoney and I can finally go out - I will be sure to get a BIG GIANT MOUND of popcorn.

I'm afraid to meet blogger friends - I'm afraid I would disappoint.

Have you been by to see my video?

clumsy ox said...

Sounds like an excellent use of time. And I'm right there with you on "modern medicine". We've experienced a couple of those stories, and are extremely skeptical as a result.

I'll get to watching Pirates eventually, I haven't seen #2 yet.

Good to see you back, by the way. I was missing my daily cup of Joe at Jared's

Dapoppins said...

"You spend so much time developing a notion of what they are like ....and then they are completely different. " Different how? Yes, I pulled out all the stops to impress the royal family. Congealed cheese and everything! When can we do it agian?

KingJaymz said...

Come now, Poppins. Don't ask me to quantify the inquantifiable. Jen said that you and Jenny both said the same of me, and you didn't even give me a picture to base my impression on, so how am I supposed to know?

The broccoli was fine without the cheese. I didn't think about it until afterward, but if you use an acid, such as lemon juice, it can help keep the cheese from setting. However, I don't ever use Velveeta (because of the cost), so I don't know if it takes so much that it ruins the flavor. If I ever get "melty" cheese, I use the stuff from Campbell's in a can. It works pretty darn good and is a little more managable.

We can do it again anytime. It was fabulous.

Anne: I'm always a disappointment, so I don't bother with worrying about that. If they really don't like you in real life, they aren't worth having as blog buddies, anyhow.

Mark: It's good to be back. I'm starting to feel a bit more like myself. I have direction again, which is what I desperately needed. You should check out Pirates 2 and catch 3 in the theater. It's worth the price of admission.

Mark and Anne: I certainly question the direction modern medicine continues to take, moving away from available natural cures. That bothers me. I do wonder if we'd find a cure for some of our incurable diseases if we started looking there. I'm not claiming we would, I'm just sayin'...

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

I still haven't seen the first two Pirates movies. I saw the tail end of the first one and always meant to watch the rest of it...

I wonder how different I am from my blog. Quieter I suppose.

Ba Doozie said...

you guys are all getting together without me and I'm jealous!


I honestly felt the other pirates movies were kinda gross too.....the 2nd one, my son was covering his eyes, so I better not take him to this one.

R said...

Good grief I left a comment on here and now it is gone. Did you have anything to do with it, KingJ?

Probably not, blogger stinks sometimes. Eh well.

Chelf said...

I liked Pirates... My friend did not. She said it left too much open for a fourth movie, and did not tie up the way she wanted. I will not go further, so as not to ruin it for those still going to see it. I do, however, agree that you must stay to the VERY END, or you will be lost when the fourth one starts!