Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Well, Smoo!


So, I didn't know you could actually get herpes in your eyes (ala Sil's comment), but that is just a somewhat comical moniker I've tacked onto infections I can't really explain because they are medically over my head in ability to understand. I kid.

I'd like to know how R knows couscous tastes like cat food, but I'm afraid to ask...

Couscous does not taste like cat food, by the way. In case you've never had it, it is like a lighter, somewhat "fluffed up" risotto. If you've never had either, then risotto is a small pasta. It's tiny and round. If you've never had pasta, then there's no room for your kind here.

Dapoppins: I got this infection randomly by rubbing my eyes after touching something. I'm not sure what. I'm a freak about washing my hands frequently with non-antibacterial soap, so I'm not quite sure where it came from (anti-bacterial soap increases the strength of the bacterial you touch over time, making for useless soap and stronger bacteria).

I ended up having a use for the gin I bought. I've been making Jen a drink called the Madras. It's 1 part gin, 1/2 part orange juice and three parts cranberry juice shaken together and served over ice. Jen likes it a lot. I've been drinking the dry vermouth over ice with about a 1:3 ratio of vermouth to tonic water. I haven't decided what to call it yet. I didn't name the Madras, however. That was on the Bombay Sapphire website. If you think of a cool name for my drink, post in the comments. I'd be interested in what my creative friends come up with. Nothing vulgar or gross please. This goes double for you who don't drink alcohol. I know most people here know better than to judge me, but I get looked at like a drunkard when I start discussing alcohol with many Christians. They may not see me so, but someone always seems to be in proximity that does. I'm not down with that. The first recorded miracle of Jesus in the Bible is turning water into wine, and it was after people had already been drinking. I'm not saying that He's promoting drunkenness (God forbid it), but that alcohol consumption is far from against the Christian faith.

Jen and I went to the Walking Man Pub and Brewery over the weekend. It is a quiet little hole in the wall in a beautiful little riverside town. The bathrooms in that place are fantastic. I'll have to go back just so I can go in the other one and see what it's like. They are decorated pretty cool. And they have quotes on the wall about beer. My favorite was from a Simpsons episode I'd seen before. "I'd kill everyone in this room right now for a drop of sweet beer." Homer Simpson. If you never saw the episode, the statement probably mortifies you, but you should check it out if you ever get the opportunity. It's the one where Homer gives up beer for a month. It is a real heartfelt one. Anyway, good beer and good food there. For my hometown peeps in Free Country, USA (you know who you are), check it out. It's worth the drive.

I bought "Taiko Drum Master" for the PS2 this weekend. It's pretty cool. I like rhythm games I can play with a drum. I played an awesome arcade drum machine in Chelan about a year ago and got addicted. Yeah, I visited the local video arcade on vacation. It was the first respectable one I've seen in about 10 years. Anyway, I played that thing and sweated through all the clean clothes I brought. They guy who owned the place gave me a couple bucks to play it after I'd done so a few times already, so I couldn't quit! Anyhow, Taiko Drum Master is like the less cool version of that. It has quite a variety of songs, too. You can drum along to everything from Lady Marmalade to Beethoven's 5th to Slide by the Goo Goo Dolls to the Prelude to the opera Carmen. Seeing Slide in there makes me feel old. I'm starting to realize that "my time", as our culture defines it, has passed. It makes one a little sore in the heart. I wish we lived in a culture that honored the aged. Then I, and all ye who readeth this blog, would still feel as if "our time" had not yet come. What a concept, eh?
Okay, I'm done. A gold star if you made it all the way through.

13 comments:

Dapoppins said...

Gold star for ME????

KingJaymz said...

Yes, even for you, Poppins.

Dapoppins said...

I would have to taste your fancy drink to come up with something. But it sounds like summertime to me, with the orange and the red...

I thought you were working out with the Wii. I think you are just trying to confuse me.

I don't believe in hand washing. Bactiera is just a myth soap manufactures invented to get us to buy their product.

I finally got my gold star. All is well in the world.

Chelf said...

Why would you want to drum in a video game if you have the real thing? This is why we do not yet have any game system (that we have purchased). DH has the drums.

The drink sounds... tart. I, too, feel that I must taste the thing to get a good idea for the name. Give us a picture to see? That might help too.

Chelf said...

Gold Bear. I deserve a gummy bear for having seen the episode in question (even if you and DH had to remind me of it), and I get the gold star for finishing the post.

Slide can't be that old. "You know you are old when you find your favorite albums in the discount bin." Eh, whatever. My faves are all older than me, I grew up on Jan and Dean. Top that!

KingJaymz said...

I'm holding you to one gold star for your comment, Chelf. First, Taiko Drum Master cost $50. Find me a set of drums in good condition for that, then we can have that conversation. Oh, and they have to fit in my apartment, too.

The drink isn't too tart. It's refreshing, like a cool summer morning (no, I'm not going to name it that).

It doesn't count if you grew up on music older than you. I listened to Metallica's early stuff and the Scorpions growing up (among many, many others), but that isn't the same. The music of an individual's "generation" is generally the stuff released when a person is between the ages of 13 and 21.

Poppins: Don't tempt me to revoke your gold star. You obviously weren't paying attention. Reread your comments and then reread my post and you'll figure out why...

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

Wow, "Slide" is such a great song. Reminds me back in the day when the Goo Goo Dolls were actually good.

I like the sound of Madras. It sounds like something my friend would like as well. Saki with cranberry juice is also decent...

Ba Doozie said...

my eyes glazed over about halfway through but I snapped out of it and finished reading. Did someone say steak?

Looney Mom said...

Uhmmm... sorry to do this here but risotto is actually rice - the most common rice used in making risotto is Arborio. Orzo, on the other hand, is a pasta. Anywayz...

I saw that Simpsons episode. Homer always cracks me up. And you know I'm cool with you drinking... I just wish you could send me one of those drinks. They sound good.

I got the kids Donkey Konga for Christmas last year. It sounds similar to your game. It's just fun drum-beating to popular songs.

I did read all the way through... :)

R said...

Yes, I have eaten catfood. The hard kind. Long ago when I was a kid. I used to eat the counting pinto beans in kindergarten as well. I used to eat gum off the street. Tasted like rubber.

And, couscous tastes like catfood. Maybe it was the type I had. Maybe it was some sort of flavoring. I can try it again, but I am sure it will still taste like catfood.

I agree with you on the alcohol thing. I love gin and tonic and of course my red juice.

Delia said...

Hmm...Slide is old? For real? Here I was thinking I was still somewhat young and cool and you point out that Slide makes you feel old.

Niki said...

Ahhh...the episode that ends with the lights out and the sound of a beer popping open. Marge says, "Homer! Is that a beer?" and Homer replies, "No I said Pssst I love you."

Believe it or not, I saw that one in church...

KingJaymz said...

That's funny! At church.

Actually, you described the central scene that happens about 12 minutes in. It ends with Homer and Marge on a bike riding off into the sunset singing "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head."

"You got it! No deer for a month."