Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Fighter


Yesterday, Jon Lester made his first start pitching for the Boston Red Sox in 11 months. He was put on the disabled list in August last year and was diagnosed with anaplastic large cell lymphoma on September 1st. It is inspiring stories like these (in contrast to the current Michael Vick dog-fighting scandal) that make sports worth watching for me. You don't know if they have the ability to even beat their disease, but they not only do that, they go on to make a comeback in their field. Jon Lester was the winning pitcher last night against the Cleveland Indians, who've had a team that is solid this season. I certainly wish him all the best going forward. It was pretty emotional to see his parents reactions to watching the game during the SportsCenter highlights. I can only imagine...


Some good news coming out of the whole dog-fighting scandal: Joey Harrington is going to be the starting QB for the Atlanta Falcons this season. It looks like Roger Goodell (the commissioner of the NFL) will hand out disciplinary action against Michael Vick. He's reviewing the case carefully now. I always carried great disdain for the UofO Ducks with a passion (not individual players, but the team). I'm an OSU Beaver fan, so I have to (a popular bumper sticker you see around the OSU area is "Beaver up front, Duck in the trunk"). However, I've always liked Joey Harrington. You just can not have any personal malice against the guy. I have liked him in spite of my athletic allegiances. He's gotten a raw deal ever since he was drafted by the Detroit Lions five or six years ago. He's been put in situations where no one could have succeeded...not even the great Joe Montana. However, the Falcons could do something this year and I'll be rooting for Joey all the way.

5 comments:

MugwumpMom said...

Wow, that is inspiring. Against all odds eh. Good for him.

majeau13 said...

It's the only time I've clapped for the Red Sox!

The Family Jewels said...

I am glad that your faith in sports had been renewed. When shopping is made a sport I just might sit up and take notice. I think it is great that these people are so passionate about their sport, but how much money do they really need to be paid for something that should be recreational? I applaud those who make milliions and give back, but I have a hard time believing that they are all doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. Stepping down now, Tonia

Dapoppins said...

Oh, look Joey H. is a name I recognize! I am blown away. Yes, I even think I knew he played football. And yes, he is a likable guy. He plays the piano. how can a football player who plays the piano not be likable?

Pilgrimguide said...

I might have to reconsider our relationship following your confession concerning Joey Harrington. But if my two sons don't learn of this, I think we still might be friends. Actually, I feel the same way about Joey -- just don't tell anyone.