Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Lessons from Interesting Places

(Click to enlarge)


I got a lot of feedback on that meme. The most pronounced thoughts that came back to me was shock over Queen Latifah being one of my celebrity crushes. I am surprised that some people found it so surprising, especially after the two posts I did on body image issues and acceptance.

However, allow me to come at this from a more discriminatory angle. Let's ask the question that many people think: "She isn't a size 4, though, so how is she sexy?" I believe a lot of people think that, but are also beguiled by her and wonder what it is about her. She doesn't fit their predefined image of beauty, yet there is something very attractive about her to them.

Queen Latifah is confident, bold, and has a commanding presence. She projects an attitude of "Damn right, I'm gorgeous" without being pretentious about it. And you rarely see a picture of her without a huge smile. A smile is the first thing to catch most peoples' eye because it is a sign of gentleness and kindness.

She's a celebrety crush from way back when I saw her guest-starring on a couple of episodes of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. That hit the air-waves back in 1990 (still technically the decade of the '80s). I think her guest spots were in the first or second season.

Mark Gungor has a lot to say about her, too. If you've never been to his Laugh Your Way To a Better Marriage seminar, you have no idea what you're missing. It's a marriage seminar geared toward both members of the marriage, but doesn't leave men in the dust or feeling like they are inadequate for being men. To top it off, I had a gut ache for a day or so after I went. He's hilarious!

Anyhow, that's about all I've got for today. I'm one step above comatose. I spent the weekend running errands and trying to fix a broken car that I'll hopefully have a part for by Wednesday. We'll see. If you pray, please do say one for me and that car.

Blessings

16 comments:

MugwumpMom said...

There isn't a Queen Latifah movie I haven't seen, bad roles or no. She's one of my favorites.

Niki said...

Mine too! She is confident, friendly, and sexy...things I want to be as well. That's why I used her as an example in my Beauty talks at the retreat I did last year. You are right on about the smiling thing.

Looney Mom said...

I don't think I was implying anything about her weight at all in my comment. Besides who am I to talk? I'm no slender young chick myself anymore. And I love her style. She really is a beautiful person.

And Dude! You cracked me up with your comment on my blog. You are such a goof! I told you I had moved some stuff off my sidebar so it should load faster - that was last week!

R said...

Hey, I just said that whenever I see the Queen from now on, I would think of you.

I think she is gorgeous, no shock to me that you find her attractive.

My favorite actor (one that I found the best looking when I was younger) was Gary Oldman. I know, Gary Oldman.
Who knew? He is not some muscle man or even some beautiful faced man like Mel Gibson, but he looks like he is so smart. So intelligent. So haughty and collected. I have no idea why I like that, but I do.

Hence my crazy love for Dear Sir. He drives me wild.

R said...

BTW---

Hey, unless you deleted comments from people and their shock about Queen Latifah, I don't see it at all in the ten comments down below. None. No shock. Only two people mentioned her and it was me and silverneurotic.

And it was just talking about her, not about how you like her.

What gives, dude man?

KingJaymz said...

r - I said "The most pronounced thoughts that came back to me was shock over Queen Latifah being one of my celebrity crushes." I didn't say all ten comments. It just seemed to me that some people were surprised by this. It made for a great opportunity to make a point. I didn't infer anyone thought "She's fat, how can Jared like her?" Careful where you go flinging assumptions. You could put an eye out, or lop a finger off...(LOL)

Liz - You know I would never imply that about you. Size is so irrelevant.

And, I know, that was last week, but how many times have you tried a "this" or "that" to try to get your blog to load without crashing my work compy?

Everyone - my statement was "allow me to come at this from a more discriminatory angle. Let's ask the question that many people think..." I said "me" and "many people" not "all my readers and commenters." Once again, I'm not accusing anyone here. I was just trying to make a point.

Chelf said...

Mo'nique. Really, J? She is cute, smiley, and humorous. But without the class of Queen Latifah.

All (but maybe Kylie) have brains, and curves and athleticism.

For those who wonder... notice the attractiveness that he looks for, and then look again at the crush list. They all have most of those qualities.

I didn't know who Lady Jaye was. G.I. Joe was my brother's thing, if he didn't have cars or Legos. My Micro Machines and my Legos are now my brother's.

KingJaymz said...

You're right about Mo'nique. She just charms me in how she presents herself, though.

I never knew much about Kylie. I just thought she was hot playing the role of Cammy in the Street Fighter movie.

I may have to hire you as a therapist. It didn't even register that they all had similarities. However, I don't think that Maria Sharapova has many (if any) curves. I just liked the way she presented herself in the Nike commercial she did that had the song from the Westside Story, I'm Pretty, in it.

The Family Jewels said...

Jared, Somedays it is interesting to step into your mind. Thank you for allowing all of us a peek ;} It is a nice escape from our own minds somedays.

R said...

Jared, I didn't assume anything either. :) Was it the Gary Oldman comment? I am stumped but we don't have to beat a dead horse. Your blog, your thoughts, totally not my business.

Good thoughts, I appreciate them. Glad it spurred you on to talking about what you appreciate in a woman, etc.

KingJaymz said...

That's okay, r, I'm stumped too. I generally have no idea what I'm talking about. That tends to happen when I compose my posts and responses to comments at 5am...

R said...

You poor guy! 5 a.m. is rough. I don't know how you men do it. I feel bad that I get up later!

Niki said...

I don't. I revel in it! Muwahahahaha! ;)

The Family Jewels said...

Dear God, Please help Jared get his car fixed so Jen can get extra sleep in the mornings. Amen.

Dapoppins said...

Car problems are evil. Been there. LOTS of times. Just saying.

And I have heard lots of good things about that seminar. I would love to go, but we have actually never done anything like that. Kids and Money, being one reason. Anyway, the whole idea in laughter in marriage is just too fun for words. I want more of that.

queen z said...

I thought the same thing as "r" about the pronounced interest/shock over QL. So I won't beat a dead horse either. Where did that saying come from anyway, beating a dead horse?