Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Trying New Things

Well, I made "cold brewed coffee" for the first time, and I have to say...I think it's the last time. It supposedly has less acid and more caffeine. It is also supposed to have a more "chocolatey" flavor to it, too. I think if you drink auto-drip, you'd agree with that all the way down the line. However, I've been making espresso for the last two years, and I never drink auto-drip. It's far too weak for me. So, I feel duped by the promise of "concentrated flavor" when it just tastes too mild to even "taste the flavor." If any of you are interested, you can find instructions on how to cold brew coffee here. Don't take my word for it. I'm an espresso snob. You might enjoy it. That food blog has been interesting aside from my debacle with coffee, so it deserves a look.

Speaking of people who are trying new things, Curtis Martin (pictured above with his third grade teacher, Aralessa Bush), the everyday RB of the New York Jets for the last 8 years (previous 3 in New England) is retiring. He's the fourth leading rusher of all time in NFL history. I wish him all the best. He has an incredible story, and I'm sure he'll be making good use of his time now that it is no longer so occupied by football. I hate to see him go. He was an artist on the field, and a good man off it. I've seen few retirement announcements that make me tear up a bit, but this is certainly one of them. His contributions to the game will be missed. It will take some of the lime light off of his greater contributions to society, which saddens me. He never got the credit for that work that he deserved, either. Good luck, Curtis. You won't need it, but I wish it and much blessing upon you in heaps and mounds.
And, to answer anyone worried, no, this isn't turning into a sports blog. There has just been some things of incredible note to me in the world of sport this week. I'm taking some time off from discussing "serious" issues of faith because I've gotten a lot of criticism over the last two months, and it's wearing on me. I'm covering other things while looking for a little direction in my blogging for the next couple weeks. We'll see what happens. However, I will still be contributing over at SLM, so that won't change if you're interested in it.

11 comments:

Anne said...

My husband is a big coffee fan - I drink it on occasion. He is now roasting his own coffee. He also likes to drink it "French Press". He is REALLY enjoying roasting his own. I took a few pictures of him on the back desk (he's NOT allowed to do it in the house).

He says the drip coffee takes all the oils away.

Looney Mom said...

I'm just going to have to get myself one of those handy-doody espresso makers I guess. My coffee just isn't strong enough for me anymore either.

Dapoppins said...

You? A coffee snob? I never would have guessed it.
Sports blog? Huh. I guess I thought that if I was visiting the mind of a King I might have to read about sports among other things. It's your blog after all.

The Family Jewels said...

I will have no comment on the coffee thing as I was told it will stunt your growth and turn your knees black...I have no desire to even try it if that will happen :)

This is your blog and you can discuss whatever is on your heart or your mind. If others don't like it they don't have to read it. I am sorry that they are making judgements against you for what you write and practice and believe.

Jesus wasn't sent to earth to be quiet. We as believers weren't either. I pray that you will stand strong in your beliefs and don't give in to the judgements of others. Go with what God puts in your heart.

clumsy ox said...

I pretty much just ignore the sports stuff. Where our interests coincide, there's discussion; otherwise, I just mind my own business.

Now about coffee... I like espresso, but I'm getting to the age where caffeine can actually affect me; so I need to go easy on that. I use my drip maker most of the time, my French press sometimes, and my espresso pot occasionally.

I find a good dark (French, Italian, Bustelo) roast in my drip-maker, made a littl thick, is just right for everyday consumption.

The other week, I was at a Lebanese friend's house. Now THAT is coffee. They appear to boil--- not drip, not perc, not even filter---it. It's like drinking mud.

KingJaymz said...

So you had "Turkish" coffee, eh? That's some good juju there, baby. But, calling it Turkish coffee is like saying Swedish pancakes. It seems like they go by the name of multiple countries, but we just know them as that. Funny story on that, sometime.

Dapoppins, I'm not really a snob, but I drink nothing but espresso anymore. It's too easy and cheap to make good/right with a $20 stove top model that you never have to replace, unlike counter-top auto-drip makers. I've been spoiled by rich flavor.

clumsy ox said...

It's too easy and cheap to make good/right with a $20 stove top model that you never have to replace, unlike counter-top auto-drip makers.

Hear! Hear! The $15--$20 two-chamber espresso pots are cheap, easy, reliable, and make much better jo than the $100--$600 "espresso machines" you can buy almost everywhere. I love mine, although I don't use it nearly so much as it deserves. It's 9 years old now, and still as good as new.

Dapoppins said...

My mom brought me an expresso maker. It's in the garage (don't tell her) I don't think my cheap'o fodgers coffee would turn out very good in it. I drink cold coffee, I drink old coffee. Sometimes it gives me gas. I drink it anyway. It turns my teeth icky shades of brown. I drink it anyway. It has nothing to do with flavor. It is all about adiction.

Jan Parrish said...

Are you sure this isn't a sports blog because it's really starting to look like a sports blog. LOL.

As for coffee, I'm ready to talk about that all day. I really do feel Starbucks should give me a kickback for their free publicity on my blog. Check out the Utube video. Oddly interesting. :)

queen z said...

I've been reading your blog a couple of months or more, and unless you aren't posting the comments that criticize, I don't see that much of it. I have been to some blogs where there is a horrendous amount of criticism towards the author. In fact I looked back through the comments to see who was the culprit, and I still don't see it???

Niki said...

Keep your sports and your coffee! Movies, books, and chai? Now you're talking!

Jan-I want some of that Starbucks sometime...their chai isn't bad.