Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Breaking Down Walls


As much as I groaned and complained about the job I had for the last fifteen months, it is evidence of one great fact: God is working hard on me. Not only did He place me in a difficult situation, but he also placed me among people I have never been exposed to. He has put me in places that have shattered my prejudice, stereotypes and preconceived notions.
Working among a group of people, such as the disabled, forces you to reconcile yourself to their humanity and who they are in the image of God over whatever issue or disability they might have. They are more truly and purely a reflection of Him in so many ways than those of us who aren't disabled, and it was my privilege to behold for the duration of my last job.
He is moving in my life again beyond my ability to buck, control or escape. I'm beginning to find myself immersed in a group of men who are in the post-recovery phase from all sorts of addictions (drug, alcohol, sex, etc.) on account of the final project for my Bachelor's degree.
I'm scared and excited all at the same time. On the one hand, I have never been amongst people with this special set of needs and issues, and on the other hand, if we are forgiven, clean and made pure by Christ, we are new creations and there must be a letting go of the issues that one may have with a person's past...period. There is no exception to that.
I'm not afraid of these people. I'm just uncertain. No matter what, I will find my footing. I was able to do that with zero direction from my supervisor in my last job, and in this experience, I'll have about the best mentor that a person could ask for.
I'll be spending the day getting familiar with the program that these guys are graduating from and getting to know some of them. The whole process begins...again...and I get the privilege of getting to see God's goodness anew in a completely different way than I've ever experienced it. It isn't easy, but it is so rewarding that I'll gladly invite the struggle.

5 comments:

Shan said...

No wonder you're a hugger. You're a reacher out - a giver - a toucher and a healer.

bertagirl said...

I know that you will do great! You are very compassionate.
You will find your way- because I saw how well you have done before!!
This will be a good experience for you..

The Family Jewels said...

That sounds great! I am sure you will do well! You sound more excited than nervous. I will pray for your smooth transition into this new oppuorunity that is opening up for you. ~Tonia

wessexcathedral@gmail.com said...

I worked with the mentally disabled before. It was very tough, but much easier for men to handle because of brawn and because of sexual stuff. I had to quit because a young man (who did not know limits) would not leave me alone and stop touching me inappropriately. I could not go into work without an incredible fear beforehand. He was violent and scary and had put many people into the hospital with his anger.

You are a very compassionate person and will do well. Good for you.

Anne said...

Good things are always worth the struggle. You will do well I'm sure.