Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Foody Friday: My Goodness! My Guiness!

Before I get underway with Foody Friday, allow me to first mention that I have a piece currently featured over at the Sex, Love and Marriage blog that I think is worth checking out. Make sure you pop on over to read it.

I wish I could say that I'm bringing you a recipe that I have tested myself, but I can't. With my back and neck being all screwed up, I haven't done any notable cooking all week.

However, I'm not leaving you like orphans to wander alone in the orphanage of "Poor Culinarium." I have for you a couple of great recipes that I think you'll really enjoy.

The first is a beef stew, and here's how it goes:

Tuatha De Danaan Beef Stew

One 2 to 3 pound beef chuck steak
1 lb carrots
1 lb celery
1 lb potatoes
2 bottles Guinness extra stout
corn starch
water
salt and pepper to taste

Sear the meat over high heat in the pot you are going to simmer the stew in. You don't want to cook it. You just want the outside to be browned. It's all about flavor.

Remove the meat and add little water to the bottom (you'd do even better to add a shot of bourbon or whiskey or even a little of the Guinness along with the water because some flavors are only alcohol soluble). Scrape the bottom for a minute with a spatula or something of the like to loosen the delicious brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Turn the heat down to the lowest setting. Cut the meat into desired size cubes. Return the meat to the pot and add two bottles of Guinness. Add enough water so that the meat is covered.

Turn the heat back up to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 2 hours (this is not a roiling boil! a simmer is very low and you should see just a few spots where you are getting about two bubbles every second in each bubble spot), or until the meat falls apart. Add the carrots, celery, potatoes, and either 16 oz of water or another bottle of Guinness Extra Stout. Cook until the veggies are soft (probably 20 to 40 minutes). Add salt and pepper to taste.

Mix about 3 tblspns cornstarch with the same amount of water and stir into the stew. Simmer a few minutes. If it doesn't thicken up enough, just keep mixing a tblspn of cornstarch to a tblspn of water and adding every 5 minutes or so until it is the right thickness for your preference. Remember, this is a stew, so it should be thick.

Don't forget, the idea with stew is to add what you like and cook the meat until you can cut it with a spoon. This would probably be awesome served over garlic mash potatoes.

I've modified this recipe from it's original format based on my knowledge of cooking. A few steps didn't look quite right.

For the final recipe here, I'm going with the Chocolate Guinness Cake. Check it out:

1/4 cup cocoa powder (to dust the baking pans)
2 sticks butter
1 cup Guinness
2/3 cup Dutch process dark cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups unbleached flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
chocolate frosting

Heat oven to 350° F and lightly dust two greased 8 inch spring-form pans with cocoa powder.

In a heavy saucepan or microwave oven, melt the butter and add the beer and cocoa powder. Let it cool.

Sift the dry ingredients together (when measuring the flour, make sure it isn't tightly packed; you can stick a whisk down in it and loosen it up or you can use a fork to fluff it like couscous). Add the beer-cocoa mixture, and beat it thoroughly for 1 minute on medium speed with a hand or stand mixer, or mix with a whisk until the mixture is nice and smooth. Add the eggs and sour cream and beat another 2 minutes on medium speed. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake it for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Place the pans on a wire rack, cool for 10 minutes, remove the sides, and cool completely (if you don't have or didn't use spring-form pans, use a paring knife around the edges and turn the pan over with your hand supporting the top of the cake and remove carefully). Use a long serrated knife to even the tops of the cakes (a couple of picket fence posts are perfect to make the cut exactly even). Using a flexible spatula, spread thin coating of chocolate frosting on the top of the bottom cake and stack them up. Cover the rest of the cake with frosting.

For a freaking awesome frosting recipe, check this out.

If you want the original, untainted by me recipes, you can follow this link to the website I got them from for them and a lot of other fantastic food ideas. All the recipes involve either Guinness Draught or Guinness Extra Stout.

For now, I bid you buon appetito, but I may have another post cooked up today. Check back later on this afternoon.

5 comments:

Sally said...

Oh my gosh! That choc cake sounds SO good!

And I'm not even a fan of Guiness...although I did kind of enjoy a Black Velvet (Guiness and champagne) while we were in Ireland...but that may have been because I'd already consumed at least a bottle and a half of red wine...I'm not sure.

The Family Jewels said...

Can I be a pain in the butt and request some recepies that I can actually eat from?

I'm just kidding!...I know how you like your red meat and such!

I finally posted, so I just thought I'd stop in and let you know.

~~Tonia~~

Shan said...

Tuatha de Danaan? Do mine ears deceive me or is that out of "Willow"?

KingJaymz said...

Shan- Oh crap! That's lame. I'm changing the name! Willow was a little before my time, so...I saw it once when I was 7, I think...

Niki said...

baby! ;)