Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

They've Gone Too Far!

This is rock solid proof that cloning, genetics and stem cell research have gone on too long. Ladies and gentlemen, today at the fair I witnessed this pathetic site.


I know what you're all thinking...and the answer is "Yes." Scientists have finally successfully cross-bred a chicken with a wookie. I couldn't believe it either. What's next? C3P0 and a Dyson having a baby?!

As I so ridiculously pointed out, I went to the fair today. It was the last day of our local county fair. We aren't necessarily rural, but there's something about a county fair so small that it makes me feel redneck. Don't get me wrong, it was great. But, I grew up going to the state fair in Oregon (which was pretty freakin' huge), so this just seemed small.



However, there was this flippin' sweet monster truck rally that happened. We planned our trip to the fair based on the day this would occur. Jen had never been, and I had been to my one and only at the age of seven or eight, so it's been twenty years since I'd gone. The truck pictured above, Monster Moose, was driven by Jennifer Campbell. It encouraged Jen. She said she wanted to be a monster truck driver wen she grew up. Monster Moose also happened to be the winning truck of the competition. They put on quite a show.

If you've never been to a dock dogs competition, you need to go. I watched a little of one on TV one time, but that is about all the exposure I'd had. You can learn more at this site. This here is Ivar. He's a German wire hair, and not to mention a dang fine jumper. He made it out to about twenty-four feet to win the heat that Jen and I watched. It was pretty awesome.



I don't remember the dog below's name, but the middle picture was an impressive little trick, not to mention cute. The trainer tapped his lips with his finger, and the dog jumped up to give him a "kiss." Awww. The bottom picture is a great jump shot. That dog caught some air!




We also saw pretty much all of the livestock and some horses, too. We're not huge ride fans. Don't get me wrong, I love a good roller coaster as much as the next guy, but when you're unemployed and all day ride bracelets are $25 and there are better rides for cheaper available locally, year-round, no less, why blow the cash. Besides, we got free parking and free tickets to get into the fair. Call it a fortuitous fluke.

This was the first time in about ten years that I'd actually been able to go to the fair. I really enjoyed it. I'd forgotten how much fun it is.

Well, it's late, and I'm going to bed. There's a good random post for you for Monday.

Blessings

5 comments:

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

I've never been to that kind of dog show, I've been to obedience and agility shows...but never that, looks fun!

The Family Jewels said...

That dog trick thing looks fun! Jess can do lots of tricks, just not always on command...she can say I Love You and said it to my Grandma one time which made her day!

I want a pet chicken like that one! I think he was having a bad hair day though.

Did you get the message about the catfish in the road? It has been picked up by animal control...they hadn't ever seen anything like that before.

Have a great week! ~Tonia

MugwumpMom said...

Yup, those dock dog competitions looked like a lot of fun. The only annual fair we have around here is the PNE, and I miss the little country fairs we had where I grew up. My favorite was watching the logger sports. Glad you had fun, and enjoy the rest of your week.

bertagirl said...

I love that chicken- cute-very cute.
I didn't make it to the fair this year, but that's okay- my daughter didn't have to listen to me cry on the rides this year!!

Chelf said...

Is that chicken being bred for food, or for the feathers? Not enough feather beds in the world?

I loved our county fair in NM. It was fun. I have never bothered to find a county fair here in OKC. They have the state fair, that is fair enough!