Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

This Week in Entertainment




I gotta give it up to Terry Fator who won this year's America's Got Talent contest. I started watching the show after I saw Paul Pott's video of his try-out and winning performance of that opera piece I posted on my blog a couple of months back. The performance above is my favorite that he put on. It's worth watching the video.

More tragically this week, Michael Vick is pleading guilty to dog-fighting and federal gambling charges. The state of Virginia is next in line to prosecute him. He's likely facing at least 18 months in federal prison for the federal charges, and he'll likely be doing more time once the state of Virginia and whoever else gets done with him (he transported dogs for fighting from Arizona, South Carolina and other states, so they may get in on this). He's 27 and in the prime of his career. I'm glad that he will pay his debt to society, but, honestly, I pity him. Things like dog-fighting are symptoms of a greater problem that cuts to the human heart. God made us in His image, so there is an inherent value and sacredness to human life. It hurts me to see one go so awry. And, just to quell any questions, I'm not a Michael Vick fan. I think he's a jerk. I don't like the Atlanta Falcons. The Saints are my team in that conference. However, we must never lose sight of the value of humanity. We should weep at a murder and over the death of the murderer that results. Two sacred lives were lost. Certainly, I'm not against capital punishment, but that doesn't reduce how I value or view human life. It is a sacred thing that should concern us all. The direction, beginning and end of an individual's life are sacred things that should be viewed through the lens of the inherent value that God has given to us all.

I tried making the red sauce on Tuesday and it turned out really, really badly. I'm now much more leery of 101cookbooks.com. It tasted way too green and the recipe had way too much red pepper flake in it. However, I have a new recipe, courtesy of Clumsy Ox that I'm trying. I'll let you all know how that turns out.

That's all for today. Blessings

5 comments:

Niki said...

He was good, but I'm a little stunned that ventriloquism is America's best talent. hmmm...

Let me know about Ox's recipe!

KingJaymz said...

I don't think "best" is the word. I think "favorite" would be a thousand times more appropriate. You had to see all of his acts to really appreciate his talent.

The winner got a million bucks. The runner up, Cas Haley, was truly my favorite act of the competition, but he is a phenomenal singing talent and will get signed to a contract, regardless. For Terry Fator, who's a great man, not just a great performer, it would have been much harder for him to make his own way professionally. This will open doors for him that are already wide open for Cas. Over the course of their careers, I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that Cas will make more money, anyhow, so I think it was very fitting for the big bucks to go to Terry.

Niki said...

Have you joined his fan club yet? ;)

Seriously, you're right J! As usual...you took up for the underdog and you are right...about everything you said in your comment. I just love teasing you!

clumsy ox said...

"Recipe" is a strong word, and it coudl get me into trouble. I prefer "detailed pointers". Yeah, "detailed tips" would be good.

Ames said...

Niki, I wholeheartedly agree with both of your post. I watched his other performances, too. Definitely talented, BUT. . .