Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog post...



I don't know about y'all, but I couldn't access Blogger earlier today. I'm seriously considering switching to Typepad. You may have to pay, but you also get cleaner, easier and full customization.

I'm feeling a little more...certain (not sure how exactly fitting that word is) about things of my faith today. My real struggle yesterday was that I was coming to grips that God is so much greater and so much more than what He has communicated to us in the Bible. He is infinite, meaning that we can't know nearly as much about Him as we'd like to think we do. All of a sudden, God became someone I couldn't analyze (I'm incredibly analytical) and understand. We cannot understand God. We can know things about Him and understand things about Him, but we can't know Him like we know how to make brownies. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but I was just overcome with fear at all this.

My old mindset is "God is no more and does no more and acts no more than what is written about Him in the Bible." However, if that is really true, the Bible has become our god and not the Lord, Himself. It was very hard to come to that realization.

The second we put definitive words to what God is, we have put a barrier on Him He hasn't placed on Himself. Maybe that is why He told Moses to tell the people that "I AM" sent him; because He is. That's enough. To say "I AM..." would be to narrow. Everything else we understand about Him (including that He is love or that He is holy, holy, holy) must be understood in the grand context of "I AM." There is no less to Him. "I AM" is the unfathomable "what" of who He is.

However, I have come to grips that He has further let us know that He is love and that He is good, which means I can trust Him. So, I'll hang onto My Daddy's hand as I walk this path of faith. He won't let go. And though I can't understand Him or know Him well/fully, I can trust that He will watch over and care for me. And maybe that is the truly mystical essence of our faith...

5 comments:

Chelf said...

Wrapping your finite mind around the concept of an infinite God. Yeah, that is a struggle.

Dana Key: Just like the shapes on my grandmother's rug, you can't tell the patterns when you're too close up. From my point of view we are all far too human to see, we're part of the mystery.

As small a speck as each human is in the expanse of the Universe, God feels it necessary to pay attention to each sparrow that falls. Pretty amazing that God desires us, huh?

Niki said...

Sounds like that log is serving you well! ;)

Pilgrimguide said...

Your definitely getting there my friend. Always remember that "mystery" will always be a wonderful element in your relationship with Daddy.

Looney Mom said...

Just wanted to say HI!! And about moving from Blogger... I already set up shop over at Wordpress with my very own domain!!! I'm just too scared to make it official. I've had looneybin4sure.com since like January. Maybe I'm just being rebellious -- I've had more than enough change this year... I can set you up if you want!!! I'll email you.

Anonymous said...

Totally stumbled upon your site...
Just wanted to say Good job! You said some rather deep stuff and had some serious revelations about who the Lord is and what he does. Keep searching, keep pressing on, He is the one constant that we have in the world. He is trust worthy. He is the Great I Am :) Blessings to you as you dig deeper and fall more in love with the One who created you to be you. :)