Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Foody Friday: Coming to Class Late

You get to when you're the instructor. So, I'm late. It's been a crappy week; what can I say?

I have not yet made my cobbler, but I'm eyeing a couple of recipes. I'll pass those along to you today. I'll sure have plenty of berries to make both, so I'll let you know how they work out.

The first one a-goes like-a this:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter
1/4 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 cups fresh blackberries, rinsed and drained

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/4 cup boiling water just until mixture is evenly moist.

In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in cold water. Mix in remaining 1 cup sugar, lemon juice, and blackberries. Transfer to a cast iron skillet, and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Drop dough into the skillet by spoonfuls. Place skillet on the foil lined baking sheet.

Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until dough is golden brown.

This other recipe I'm passing along comes courtesy of Benny Nowell. He figured this one out on his own.

1 box plain old yellow cake mix
2 big cans of sliced yellow cling peaches in heavy syrup
a little cinnamon

Drain one of the cans of peaches, but not the other. Dump both into a 9X13 baking dish. Sprinkle a dash of cinnamon over the top of the peaches. Follow that by sprinkling the cake mix over the top. Park in a preheated 325F oven for about an hour. It'll still look uncooked on top in some spots when it's done.

I'm feeling a little lame today. I'm fine. I'm really just very tired. I have some errands to run, so I'm just gonna get to them.

Blessings

4 comments:

Sally said...

My hubby makes the Benny version, but he drizzles melted butter all over the top of the cake mix...so yummy!

He also doesn't add the cinnamon, I'll have to tell him to try that.

Jaye Logan said...

that sounds really good.and i just ate some peach cobbler not all that long ago.

weird.

Niki said...

Yep. You forgot the butter. Cut up one stick of butter all over the top of the cake mix, then bake it. It's delicious! It's an old boy scout recipe and great for camping. Not that I camp...

Thanks for the other recipe.

Anne said...

I have an old recipe book that was a gift to my mom when I was a kid. I love the Peach Cobbler recipe in it:

3/4 stick oleo melted
1 qt. peaches
1 c. flour
1 c. suger
1 c. milk
1 tsp. baking powder

Put melted butter in bottom of pan. Put in peaches and juice. Make batter of flour, sugar, milk and baking powder. Pour over peaches. Bake for 1 hr. at 325 degrees.

When I used fresh blackberries a few years ago I dumped a lot of white sugar on them and a tad of cinnamon before I toped it with the batter.

I wasn't up for the blackberry picking this year - I had too many tomatoes to can and too much other life duties.

Hope you enjoy your cobbler.