Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Firing right out of the gate


I used to be a huge MacArthurite. I was a big fan of his. Strange how things turn out... I now find myself at odds with him. You do some reading, gain a different viewpoint on things, and now, I find, he hates me. That's okay. I can deal with it. He is just some dude after all. He wipes with TP and wears pants like me. He just gets more public face time.

I was reading through reviews on his book The Truth War on Amazon.com and I find it disturbing how willing he is to take statements by others out of context and then lambaste them with the "truth" of the Scriptures that are now also out of context. I actually regret ever following him.

However, his response to the Emerging/Missional church is a pretty common one from many leaders in the system. He is lashing out in fear with harsh words before he even begins to understand the shape of the thing he is attacking (by his own admission in the book).

I guess that makes me pretty sad because I've had so many others do the same to me. They have no frame of reference or context to understand what I'm doing in my life or how I'm doing it in my heart's burning passion to follow Christ, yet they are all too ready and willing to tell me it's the wrong way to do things because it isn't the "right" way (what I have gotten from most people in the evangelical and fundamentalist movements who take issue with me) or the ancient "right" way (mainly hearing this from some Episcopals).

Honestly, that is a big part of what has forced me to take a break from blogging. I've had a ton that I've discovered to write about, but when I've written about alternative ideas and understandings that are more than valid and fair and orthodox, I've gotten some heat for it. With the depression that I have been working through, I have become more sensitive to just being criticized without offering an open ear of respect to my viewpoint. I'll openly admit that.

As I work out my faith (with plenty of fear and trembling), I would hope that I would find a community here around me that would be open-minded enough to consider what I'm saying without telling me how wrong I am. I'm ready to talk again, and I'm hoping you'll come along with me for this adventure, not just as someone walking the trail, but as a true companion/co-adventurer. I promise to talk about a lot of controversial things (like women in leadership positions and what the Kingdom of God/heaven really means) if I have open ears on the other end.

Let me just say, I'll gladly welcome friendly discourse and questions (like saying "But what about a, b and c? These are the things that I believe."), but I won't welcome being told out-right that I'm wrong (as in, "What you said is wrong because the Bible says f, g, and h" or "Sounds like you're building your house on sand, to me"). If you're willing to join the conversation and not just do a flyby "You're wrong because x,y and z," then I'll be glad to have you on this journey. However, I'm not going to extend an invitation to Mr. MacArthur. Though I still respect a lot of what he has accomplished, I don't think he is nearly as open-minded as y'all are ;)

9 comments:

Niki said...

And I was going to buy you his study Bible for Christmas...lol

Glad to see you posting! ;)

Chelf said...

I miss having conversations with you. I don't spend as much time blogging and emailing as I used to, and I MISS THAT!

I need you (and Niki) stretching my old boundaries. Challenging me to be a more studious person.

Looking forward to more.

Anne said...

But what about Acts 18:24-28?

"Now a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man and mighty in the Scriptures, came to Ephesus. 25 This man had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things of the Lord, though he knew only the baptism of John. 26 So he began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Aquila and Priscilla heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately. 27 And when he desired to cross to Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him; and when he arrived, he greatly helped those who had believed through grace; 28 for he vigorously refuted the Jews publicly, showing from the Scriptures that Jesus is the Christ." NKJV

Sorry I haven't been by in a while. I've hardly posted on my own blog. Life is just too much sometimes.

Looney Mom said...

Liz was here.

Niki said...

What is Anne's point? That you need to be teachable? That you need to be open to correction? I'm trying to understand her use of this scripture. Just wondering...

Anne said...

The scripture doesn't indicate that Apollos was mad or hurt at being instructed nor does it indicate that Aquila and Priscilla were afraid to take him aside and instruct him for fear of Appollos being upset with them.

Therefore, the point is exactly that. We should be open to instruction/correction and willing to instruct.

KingJaymz said...

It also doesn't indicate that Aquila and Priscilla corrected Apollos in an arrogant and self-righteous manner with little consideration given to love. That is how most evangelicals/fundamentalists have responded to anything I've said, whether or not I am wrong not withstanding.

How about a little love for a very injured heart?

Anne said...

I love you Jared. I pray you know that.

Try to "Count it all joy..." my brother. (James 1:2-4)

Brett Gorley said...

Here's some love for your heart..... STAB STAB STAB STAB!!!!!!!!
Aw, gee, sorry about that. I was possessed by an ex-girlfriend of mine there for a moment. Seriously, hugs and kisses to ya, bro!

Though I haven't read what Johnny Mac said in this book, I do know that he comes across that way to people he criticizes. I honestly don't know if that was his intent, or his intent was to simply demonize emergent types, or he was trying to explain what he takes as the emergent church, or someone just pee'd in his coffee that morning.
But, whatever his motive or how right or wrong he is, I do know that you and I will stand before the judgement seat of Christ on the last day, so we'd best examine our own doctrine and life and be our own biggest critics, which should silence the types like Johnny Mac.