Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Multipedia

I have lots on the brain today. Prepare to download...

I'm diggin' this idea of "modding" one's life with innovative and creative advances on non-hi tech things to replace technology that is encroaching on and complicating our life. I have a friend who refuses to get a cell phone. I'm not that radical because I can set healthy boundaries with my cell phone. However, I've hit a point where I've noticed that technology is starting to be counter-productive in my daily life. My PC is complicating my life and sucking up time, rather than saving it. So, I'm looking for little "life hacks" or "mods" that will save me time and money that are innovative and creative, but low-tech and low-cost (another beni of them not being hi tech).

I'm going to make this wallet when I get an Altoids tin. I'll probably use it as a case for my PocketMod. Then, there's this awesome 3 card monte origami wallet. I've folded a practice one and will try to make a real one today. I also found these cute origami purses that could be easily modded to be an in pocket filing system for important cards (Costco card, Bi-Mart card, video rental card, etc.)...or, they could just be used as "cute origami purses" if you're into that sort of thing.

One thing about all this is it's forcing me to become more than a consumer. I'm actually producing things and being productive and "crafty." That's awesome on any level and goes against the grain of our Western economic system.
--------------------

I've been thinking a lot lately about science and the Bible. You know, the Bible was not written as a scientific manual. That doesn't bother me. It was written as God's story to us, so that we could connect with Him and know how to live His will here on earth. We know how to live because we are trying to (or should be trying to) imitate the life of His Son. Care for the weak, visit the sick and imprisoned, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and give a drink to the thirsty.

For thousands of years, the Jews didn't think of the Bible as this scientific book that told the age of the earth. The thought of it as God's story for them. It facilitated a greater and more important understanding of their world than what science could offer.

I'm not a part of the "young earth club." However, I'm not pro-evolution, either. I think those who are desperate to believe in a young earth and prove it look at Genesis 1-10 so scientifically that they lose sight of the greater story God is telling in there.

The truth is, science changes, but the word of the Lord stands forever (1 Peter 1:24, 25). If that is so, then we should be so much more focused on being good news to people than we should on insisting that the earth couldn't be any more than 6,000 years old. I'd also add, if that is so, then we shouldn't be threatened by small minded evolutionists. If we are, then we start to look like them.

I really don't care how old the earth is. I just want to look as much like Jesus as possible.
--------------------

Quarterbacking in the NFL is much improved over the last two or three years. It's a real relief. It wasn't great the last 10 years. Elway, Marino and Montana all retired (I'd add Steve Young's somewhat tragic career end to that, too). When we lost them, we lost a lot.

However, Tony Romo, Big Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and a resurgent Brett Favre have brought good passing back to the NFL. Games are exciting every week.

I know most of you couldn't give a crap less, so I'll compare it to something. It's like when Julia Child retired from her cooking show. Sure she produced a few specials. But, it wasn't until the last six or seven years that a great, regular cooking show or two (Good Eats and (shudder) Thirty Minute Meals) has come back on the airwaves to reinvigorate home cooks. I suppose I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Emeril Live!, but I hate that show. Emeril is loud and annoying, not to mention the fact he over complicates every recipe he makes. He's food entertainment, not a chef educator.
--------------------

I wrote this this morning at 9am and forgot to hit "Publish." Sorry.

4 comments:

uberstrickenfrau said...

Hey- I think KNITTING will be just up your alley! You'll try it and * BAM! * THe flavor will hit you!

Anne said...

Okay, you lost me at "Quarterbacking in the NFL".

I'm a member of the "young earth club". Just finished some extensive studies through Genesis. I am by no means an expert though. I just know what I know for now.

As for tech stuff - I still don't have a cell phone (I stronly believe I'm the only one on the planet wihtout one). Not because I'm against technology but because it's a luxury we can't afford - along with cable and all the other "tv" stuff. We DO have our luxuries, we just had to choose which were more important for as long as we can afford them.

I would really like to have an iPod now that I know more about them - man, you'd think I was 80 years old. I'd like to have one since I'm such a music person and someone explained to me the benefits vs. owning a pile (mountain) of CDs. But, I couldn't make myself buy one because I learned once the battery ran down you have to buy a new one. I don't think so! I think I'll hold out a little longer.

KingJaymz said...

frau - knitting I haven't done yet, but I'm actually interested in learning. I do some beadwork with my wife. I'll probably be taking a sewing class in the next few months, too.

anne - to be fair, upon rereading, I did notice some of my language to be "anti-young earth." It wasnt' intentional, and I'm humble enough to admit when I've been too harsh. I appreciate your ability to look past that.

Anne said...

I praise God that I am able to read pretty much anything without "reading into it". Without voice inflection, etc. it's hard to tell anyone's intentions when they write unless they are quite talented (in my opinion) - especially in the cyber realm. I seriously didn't see you as being harsh.:)

Later Tater!

P.S. Young Earth Club