Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

What does it mean?

I had a wonderful chat with a good friend this morning. We talked about what "Modern," "Postmodern," "Emergent" and "Missional" mean. It was a great conversation. However, he really helped me think through the labels. The problem with labels is that people have tons of loaded (often inaccurate) assumptions about what they mean. He said "I'd rather just be known as me and a follower of Jesus." I second that.

However, I do so love the label "missional." I've been sent by Jesus to be a light of love to the world for God's kind intentions toward them. I try to live like Jesus because I'm His disciple. I do that by trying to represent Him in His incarnation intentionally in my neighborhood, workplace and home (especially toward my wife). Much like that author of the Golden Compass rightly casts most people who claim to follow Jesus, he commented that it's a shame that those who make that claim don't live out the Gospels. I'm trying hard to live them out.

I spent a lot of time in the Epistle to the Romans today. I forget how wonderously challenging and confusing working out one's faith can be (with fear and trembling, might I add). However, clarity emerges when you read a whole book in one swath. And, though I have not attained, I am laying hold of some great things that are helping me solidify some thoughts on the faith and good doctrine.

Well, I'm going to finish my beer and head off to bed.

PS Anne, I do know that you love me.

5 comments:

R said...

Good to see you in decent spirits. Missional is a good word. I agree. But I don't care about labels. I think they are fine most of the time. They just don't bother me. I do understand that someone can fit into a certain label only so far---and there are always exceptions and differences within that label.

KingJaymz said...

The trouble I run into is that not everyone is as wise as you, r. The vast majority of people make highly inaccurate assertions about me, my worldview and my doctrine based on me calling myself "emergent" and "postmodern." I feel like I pretty well fit both of those, but not in the incredibly inaccurate way that most people have been taught.

Brett Gorley said...

Labels are convenient ways to quickly categorize someone into a neat, tidy box for the purpose of dismissing them and everything they say.

However, definitions are important. Without definitions, we can't talk to cultists (they re-define every Christian term with their own meanings), we can't talk to liberals, or even each other.

The other day I was definitely after some definitions, having heard a variety of them for the same terms. I definitely wasn't trying to label you, as I can't dismiss a beer drinking buddy. ;)

KingJaymz said...

C'mon, Gorley, as if you have to explain yourself. You are among the last people on earth I'd ever think would be prone to label anyone, let alone me (aside from being a commie pinko).

You make a great point, though. Cults bastardize terms to make themselves sound like the real thing. Definitions are incredibly important. MacArthur would've done well to define "emergent" and "Postmodern" as those who are do, rather than with his own projected opinions/definition.

Anne said...

I prefer to be known only as a Christian:

"... And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch." Acts 11:25 NKJV

and worship with those of "...like precious faith". 2 Peter 1:1 NKJV

P.S. I'm glad you know that.