Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Monday, January 07, 2008

Liar, liar, pants on...WHOA!

(If you don't recognize the above line, it is from an old episode of Bevis and Butthead, after the show was sued over something stupid and they were judicially barred from ever using the word "fire" on the show)

So, I'm a liar. Christmastide is over on the 5th, and Epiphany is on the 6th (as I recently found out, is Little/Women's Christmas, which I thought was the 7th). So, here I am today on the 7th, a day late and a dollar short. Fitting for me.

Christmastide was good for me. The one challenge I run into is that it is quite difficult to celebrate a season that the rest of the country is dismantling since the capitalistic orgy of Dec. 25 morning has passed. But, being counter-cultural in any sense is rarely easy. I didn't really listen to any Christmas music or send or receive any gifts or sing Christmas carols or bake holiday goodies or anything like that. I just tried to focus on pausing to reflect what the season was all about. I asked myself what I'm doing to bring peace on earth and communicate goodwill (both God's and my own) toward men (and women, teehee). Quite frankly, I'm in a bit of limbo regarding that and wondering what to do about that.

Life, itself, is in a bit of transition for QueenJaymz and myself. The young tween girl we had been caring for here in our apartment complex was finally removed from her abusive caretaker after a threat to state social services that the media would be called about the most recent abuse if they didn't take action (I'll save the sermon/tirade of my anger at the injustice of the inaction on their part that allowed the constant abuse to continue for another day). Lots of painful revelations occurred after that, but it always gets worse before it gets better. Life will be difficult for her for the next year or two, but it will get much better after that, and I'm thankful that she's finally free. If only I could share more, it would break any heart that would read it. However, it isn't wise to reveal any details at this time. Lawsuits of unthinkable abuse will likely be forthcoming against multiple individuals and I wouldn't want to do anything to possibly jeopardize their success.

Anyhow, with her gone, we no longer feel tied down to our apartment complex and are wondering where to next. I've set a goal to be financially and academically prepared to attend an 8 week academic program on brewing beer at the Seibel Institute in Chicago. I have a lot of math to get familiar with and I need to take some chemistry and microbiology. I want to brew beer for a living, and I'm going to make that happen. I'm wondering what that will take and where it will take me.

I've also committed to taking some serious steps to growing spiritually. It's something I've really struggled with. I've committed myself to little, so that's exactly what I'm experiencing. I've also had some real trouble, struggling with insecurity, fear and some night terrors regarding my faith. I would call them nightmares, but they happen when I'm not quite asleep. I'm making the conscious effort to just trust and hope in the author and perfecter of my faith. It is still a struggle, though, and I could use some prayer regarding this.

I'm focused on moving forward, however. I'm keeping that focus. I don't think you ever stay somewhere. I believe you either progress or regress. This year is about progressing and dreaming big dreams.

Blessings to you all, and regular posts are here now.

J

3 comments:

Delia said...

I hope everything works out for the best for your tween friend and I pray that her life gets better fast; that the next year or two don't take a toll on her.

Good for you in deciding you want to brew beer for a living and working toward achieving that goal!

I love the sentence, "This year is about progressing and dreaming big dreams." I need that on a flyer I can keep nearby to remind me every so often.

I'm praying for you.

Dapoppins said...

I know that you and Queen Jaymzs invested a lot in that little girl and am glad that she is going to a better situation.

You like to brew beer? ReallY? I think for you to choose a job doing something you love is the best thing ever. You get to be happy and provide for your family. Wooo-hoo. Go for it.

Keep a hold of that great positive outlook. My biggest thing is trusting the Lord. He has recently blesses us in an unexpected way, and I still have issues with Trust. I am so Glad He doesn't expect perfection....

Have a great new year!

Chelf said...

I am glad to know that you have helped your tween friend. Things will get better, and there are still a few dark days to get through. I am praying that it all works out for her best.

I have not used The Message, because I prefer a translation, not a paraphrase. But... I kinda like that verse. It is very accurate to the idea. I learn something every day. You are a good teacher. :-)