Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Uncle J's Good Fashioned Ol' Timey Pannycakes

I ripped this off from a recipe website, but read some comments, took some recommendations, did a little refiguring and made it my own. I’ve never been able to make “those” pancakes before. You know, the ones that you have in a restaurant and say, “these are so light, fluffy and delicious…If only I could make these at home.” Well, try this recipe and you’ll never repeat that phrase. If you want them even lighter, you can add an additional tablespoon or two of baking powder. However, I thought these were perfect.

~~

Uncle J’s Good fashioned Ol’ Timey PannyCakes

Serves two, so multiply as necessary

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons double acting baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon white sugar

1 1/4 cups milk

1 egg

3 tablespoons butter, melted

1 Teaspoon vanilla extract

Method:

Sift the dry ingredients together. Pre-measure all of the wet ingredients and add them to the dry ingredients all at once. Stir gently until it all just barely comes together (about ten to fifteen stirs). It should still be very lumpy. too much stirring makes gluten which makes the pancakes tough. Then leave to sit for ten to fifteen minutes. When ready to cook, melt a small amount of butter (about two teaspoons, give or take) in a skillet over medium-low to medium high heat (depending on your range) or set your electric skillet or griddle to 350F or 175C, and add in the batter, between
1/4 and 1/2 cup at a time, depending on how big you want your pancakes. When done on the first side, the top should be perforated with bubbles that stay. If this hasn’t happened, they won’t be light and fluffy. Flip and cook the other side until browned to your likeness.

~~

Hey! Look MA! Two days in a row!

3 comments:

clumsy ox said...

My last pancakes were so bad, I swore off trying to make them anymore. Ames makes incredible pancakes, mine are the equivalent of Bud Light.

I'm waiting for Batter Blaster to open up East Coast distribution.

tragor said...

You want to come over and make them for me? You can also brew some beer with Brett.

Chelf said...

Wow, two in a row, and FOOD. Yum. They look good.

I remember my dad and my uncle trying to compete for the best home-brew recipe for pannycakes. (Uncle's were better to me, but it is all in the opinion)