Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

You have died of dysentery

So, I’ve been gone about a month. Here’s the short of it: I finished my ISP report on my birthday, which you all already know. Then, I got really sick for a couple of weeks. That was followed by a small bout of depression. . .which I was able to get over. Still working through some of the after-effects/thoughts. I started looking for work because I’m pretty much done with school, though I still have my oral report to do, and I am no longer feeling ill. . .besides, my unemployment is about to run out. I make my final claim today, then I’m off the public dole. Benny came out for a short visit/vacation. We tried 37 different beers in 5 days. My liver is still recovering. We got a lot of 2 oz samples of stuff, but still. . . Finally, I applied for and was accepted to the American Brewer’s Guild Brewing School, and my cohort begins in January of 2009.

That last one there really excites me. I’m so totally excited that I am going to get to do what I love for a living. ABG has three primary advantages over Siebel, which I talked about attending at the beginning of the year. First, it’s about half the cost of Siebel. Second, ABG is a six month course, so I can actually digest it all, where Siebel occurs in a total of 12 weeks. Finally, ABG is a distance learning program, so I get to stay where I am and keep a job while I learn. . .for most of the program, anyways. The last five weeks of ABG’s program is at a brewery working in a practical apprenticeship/internship and actually doing the work. I’ll be poised to hop right into the industry when I’m done with my program. It is all quite exciting. I’ll have a job that will be portable to the most exciting parts of the country to live, and Canada. I’ve seen some specials recently that make me really want to move to Vancouver or Victoria, BC. Alaska would be great, too.

However, there’s too much life to be lived to be always living for tomorrow or next year, so I’m here, in the moment. Yesterday queenjaymz and I went on a long hike. We had no idea how long it was going to be when we set out, but we knew where the trail went. 6 miles and an elevation gain, and then drop, of 1500 feet later, we came out. It was incredible. We are blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the country. We saw about ten different waterfalls along the trail, and those are just the ones that aren’t seasonal snow runoff. It left us with a feeling of being able to conquer the greater challenges in life that we face. If God can enable us to kick a mountain’s ass, what can stand in our way? Nothing the Almighty Himself hasn’t destined to, that’s what!

Well, I better go. I need to fix some breakfast. I have an appetite hangover from yesterday, and bacon, eggs and pancakes are calling my name.

3 comments:

MugwumpMom said...

Ooh, Vancouver, Vancouver...pick Vancouver......we drink beer here...Victoria people drink tea.

'Sides....we're way way cooler.

Brett said...

I died of dysentery.... after DRINKING YOUR BEER YOU MADE!!!
Just kidding. Dude, I've been trying to get hold of you for days now. You have got to get some of this hefe you helped me brew. It's amazing. Never had a beer like it.
Oh, remember that bastard brew from that beer kit we did? I tossed it all. Tasted like a weak amber mixed with mud.
I'm stoked you're going to beer school. You need it. Er, I mean, it will help your profession. Yeah, that's the ticket....

Give me a call, punk!

Anne said...

Glad to see you back.