Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Economic Slowdown

It's funny to be talking about an economic slowdown at a time where my economic status is improving...so I won't talk about the economic slowdown :p

The more I am exposed to the people I'll be working with, the better I feel about my job and the company I'm working for. I'm working for an agency that is state and federally funded to provide support to disabled people living in group homes. I'll be responsible for managing the staff that provide the care and I will be the regular day shift during the week. The program I will be running is walking distance from my house. It's a real step up for me. And it's in an area I'm passionate and knowledgeable about. I will be able to leave early most Fridays, and I start accruing vacation on day one.

The people above and around me are incredibly intelligent and competent, and they have good intentions for their clients and employees. They have reiterated to me that they feel like they've made the right decision to bring me on, and they are acting the same as they did when they interviewed me. I hate to say that I'm not used to that, but I'm not. They have been open and honest with me, and they are genuinely committed to the vision of independence for their clients. I wish I could say the same for my previous employer.

It's been a long day. I watched all of those exciting training videos, like "Avoiding Sexual Harassment in the Workplace," and "Illegal Drugs Hurt Everyone." How many times can you watch those? I've seen them at every job I've ever been hired at, and I'm managing to stay awake, but c'mon. Seriously.

Well, I'm going to not go do crystal meth because that one video told me that it cuts into my productivity. But I might make overtly intimate gestures to my wife...unless she threatens to report me to my HR department.

Blessings

2 comments:

silverneurotic said...

Congratulations again on the new job. I really hope that this job gives you many opportunities to do good.

MugwumpMom said...

Am in catch up mode, so finally caught up with the goings on in your life. Congratulations on the new position. May you find it fulfilling and rewarding. Enjoy your weekend.