Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

What does it mean?

What does it mean to look like Jesus? Where do we take that, because, as His followers, it means we are trying to look like Him? I contemplated this while driving my wife to work this morning. I passed numerous cars with bumper stickers that said stupid stuff like "The next time you think you're perfect, try walking on water" and "If you believe there is no God, you better be right," with the obligatory flames. I don't remember Jesus ever saying anything like that to anyone but the Pharisees and Sadducees, who were the supposed religious, holier-than-thou class.

Then there's the fish. I have a problem with the fish. The thing is, it was a symbol that the persecuted Church was able to identify members with. It wasn't for broader society, but for each other. That doesn't seem to be the motivation behind the fish stickers or plastic fish shinies. I almost avoid businesses that have those in their ads or on their windows anymore because it seems to just be another way to get suckered in to a false sense of security about who you're dealing with. My two former mechanics both had the fish symbol on their businesses. My current mechanics use the "f" word a lot, but they actually fix my car competently and charge me a fair price. The two previous ones were charging me money to fix things that they had broken, and they treated me like I was stupid. There's a real problem here.

If we want Jesus to emanate from us, we have to quit buying into the lie that wearing a cross or having the right bumper sticker or reading the right books are going to make that happen. My previous mechanics had this kind of vibe all over the place, but they aren't trusted anymore because their actions were far from trustworthy. These guys who treat me with respect and charge me fairly and use a lot of foul language look a lot more like Jesus to me than they did.

So what does it mean to follow Jesus? What does it mean to look like Him? I don't think we'll accomplish that by buying more crap to stick on our vehicles that tell the rest of humanity how wrong they are. That wasn't His message.

But, this question is more than rhetorical. What do you think it means?

2 comments:

MugwumpMom said...

Ok, I'm adding you my list of people who've been pondering the same question lately...see the post I made today, then came here and read this one, and I'd say we're on the same page. You're soooo right!! It's nothing about outward appearances...and everything about character...has little to do with ethics and rule keeping and everything to do with love and...(whispering here)...."tolerance"....I've heard it said this is the new bad word in Christianity these days.
Great post!

Brett Gorley said...

Aw, man! I need more than just a bumper sticker? What kind of religion are you preaching, anyways? (Just kidding! I've always hated those bumper stickers- my faith is too big to fit on one.)