Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Friday, September 05, 2008

Your lovely face

I'm not sure what it is, but few things are so sweet as being carried away in a hymn you sang during your very young years...at least to me.  Today, after I got home from work, there was just something welling up inside that had to come out through song.  I can't explain it as anything more or less complex than that.  It was like a flashback where you get lost between what is happening in real time and something going on somewhere in your mind.  I found myself singing a hymn called (I think) "Ever Before My Eyes", an original composition by the worship pastor at the part of the Body I grew up in.  Caught between two worlds carried away in praise of God, I sang out (still somewhat conscious of the fact that I have to sing it in falsetto):

To keep your lovely face
Ever before my eyes
This is my prayer
Make it my one desire
That in my secret heart
No other love competes
No idol throne survives
And I serve only You

There is something profoundly sacred about those experiences that just requires song...then silence.  I'm not sure why.  It just does.  Selah.

No comments: