Ah, Jared's Java. Pleasant taste. Slight Monsterism.

Welcome to the home of my mind, where I brew my intellectual and spiritual joe. Sit back and let me pour you a cup or two. I promise not to cut you off, even after you get the caffeine jitters.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Pretentious Matilda


One of my favorite songs of all time has got to be Waltzing Matilda.  It's just an out-right blast to sing with a group of friends.  It gets even more fun to sing when a few pints are involved.

So, I'm blowing through Youtube looking for a good, well done rendition of Waltzing Matilda.  I'm having a tough time finding one, though.  Seriously.  It's a bunch of pretentious crap.  Every video is of someone trying to be overly artistic with it, or "soulful".

Note to everyone alive...ever: Waltzing Matilda is meant to be sung after you are a couple pints in (or as if you're a couple pints in), belted out at the top of your lungs.  A good rendition means you have a talented singing voice and this comes through while you're singing it out.  Not like this.  That is just annoying.  Nor like this.  Especially not like this.  Do it something like THIS!  Is it really all that difficult?

Thank you.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

4 comments:

silverneurotic said...

Hehe, when I was in first grade we acted out Waltzing Matilda as a skit for an Ethnic Festival. I haven't heard the song in years, though, I think I have it on a cd somewhere.

R said...

I sang Waltzing Matilda for a gig at the New Zealand Embassy in DC. That was fun.

You have to say Matilder.

:)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I learned this song from watching a children's video when my kids were little, and I fell in love with it. This year, my daughter graduated from college and took a "road trip" to Australia. I couldn't help but remember that song that we sang over and over when she was a toddler. So yes, we sang a rowdy drinking song as Mom and toddler. It was a great bonding moment!

KingJaymz said...

That's a great memory that I'm sure she'll remember for the rest of her life. I can't remember which evangelist of the Great Awakening did it, but they wrote hymns to popular bar tunes of the day. Of course, there's nothing wrong with a great bar song, like Waltzing Matilda, in the first place ;)